1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Recording Gear (for home stuff)

Discussion in 'Roscoe Basses' started by SteveC, Feb 25, 2013.

1. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

I think I need to try my hand at recording. I am a Mac/Apple guy - no changing that. :)

I need to update my Mac (it's like 7 years old) and will probably go with a new MacBook Pro.

Anyone using Garage Band? It's on all macs so I thought that's a good (free) place to start.

What about interfaces? What are you all using? I'd like to spend as little as possible but still be able to get my basses, maybe background tracks via iRealb or something like that.

Help!
  2. LightGroove

LightGroove

Yep...Garageband is a great place to start..Ive upgraded to the Logic basic setup and am really pleased with that..

I would go with a presonus firebox... they are firewire so interface with a Mac is easy and they can be had really really cheap..also the input/mic preamps are highly regarding in the pricerange.

I would go for a Imac over the Macbook...you get a much more involved machine for waaay less $$ Sure its not as portable but I picked up a Gator softbag and tote my Imac everywhere I record..no problems I think its a 22-24" screen...very pleased!
  3. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

We're debating the macbook vs imac thing right now. We have ipads and iPhones and stuff so...
  4. JOME77

JOME77

5. J2Kbass

J2Kbass Gold Supporting Member

I think you'll be happy whether you go iMac or macbook.

It just depends on your needs. If it needs to be mobile then the laptop would be an easier tool. IMO.

I've got a macbook pro I'm very pleased with. I got it because mobility is a must. I've also got an apogee duet which sounds great in my opinion and also easy to travel with.

What kind of recording are you trying to do?

If you only want to jot down ideas quickly, you could just get garage band on your iPad( then you don't need a computer) and get an apogee jam(or something like it). I use the jam with my iphone to record ideas on the fly.
  6. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

What about the Apogee Jam? Seems like a cool little device. I could just do stuff on my iPad
  7. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Not loking to do fancy stuff. Maybe use iRealb for some rhythm section and do heads/solos overothat, "bass choir" stuff, nothing fancy and mostly for me and my TB Roscoe friends.
  8. J2Kbass

Steve - this is a quick loop I just put together to show you.

Its -

bass(me) - apogee jam - iphone
    guitar(me) -apogee jam- iphone
    drums(stock sounds from garage band iphone)

https://soundcloud.com/j2kbass/quick-loop-for-tb

The jam is real easy to use.
  9. J2Kbass

BTW - I didn't spend any time messing with levels. Just wanted to give an idea of how it can sound. Of course, headphones are best.

Hope this helps.
  10. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

That seems easy enough...and only $99 to get started...and I need GB on my iPad.
  11. MCMLXI

MCMLXI

The Mac is a great platform. I use a variety of interfaces and software for different applications. As noted earlier, if you don't need the portability, get an iMac. You can expand the memory now or later depending on your situation. If you need portability, the MacBook is great, however, be sure you get as much memory as you can at the outset. Remember, on the retina display models, memory is not expandable (what you order is what you have). I also use an iPad with Garage Band for practicing and sketching ideas. It works well and is more portable than even a MacBook.

If you like Apple software, get Logic in addition to Garage Band. Take a class or two and really learn the program. It's a monster. But identify what you want to do with recording first. Like with all tools, some are better suited to different applications. Logic, ProTools, Ableton, etc., etc., etc., all have their place, strengths, fanboys and detractors so identify what will work best for you.

As far as interfaces, we use Apogee all around. We've tried many in our studios and for the price / performance Apogee can't be beat. I also carry a jam with me for my iPad and use a duet at my home studio.

Good luck. Remember, buy what you want to achieve your goals. Filter the advice you get based on your needs and enjoy the process!