Recording level HELP H4N

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by neversilence, Nov 22, 2012.

1. neversilence

neversilence

So, I recently picked this up (well a year ago almost) after listening to clips of recordings on youtube. Those recordings the levels sound fine. Though I have read of others having my issue it can def be done proper as I have heard it maybe edited etc but def can hear some youtube recordings fine. Does anyone have any ideas? No matter how high I turn the levels when I transfer it to my computer I can hardly hear the recording. If I listen to it from the recorder plugged into my monitors its loud as hell Vs when I get it on the computer. I just learned now with my menu wheel I can push that in at the recording screen and change the DB, I tryed up and down and don't notice much difference. I have included a link to a recording I did, The vocals picked up decent but the bass not so much. It was a low volume on the bass amp but I dont know how much louder I can go without clipping. Any suggestions on what to set the DB to ? programs to make louder etc. My buddy is putting me to shame using his phone to make better quality recording than my H4n. even my lowest volume songs in my itunes from assorted bands is 3-4 times louder than mine. I'm pretty pissed I bought this if I cant even put a recording up someone can hear.

www.myspace.com/neversilence

Its pretty hurtin.. I can't sing.. but I do to compose the songs for now :)

2. NKBassman

NKBassman Nerd Supporting Member

Are you trying to record using the built in mics, or with the DI inputs on the bottom?

3. neversilence

neversilence

using the mic's. I will test the DI, but think I have in the past with same result! Seems so odd that it sounds great, well not great!! but loud. ha :) ON the recorder to monitors, or headphones, but on computer so low. I thought I-tunes might be down tuning it cause thats what the file extension shows when I view the folder from recorder. I am also going to try and get a program going on the computer and record direct on computer through the mics DI etc and see if thats any better. But im not that greatest with that stuff. Or any of this stuff. Also, gonna go into the music shop where i got this nearly a year ago see if they can figure out whats wrong. Hopefully I really just am this bad with technology.

4. neversilence

neversilence

Well still no resolution. Might try some recording forms. ****ing lame ass H4N

5. Register to disable this ad