recording rehearsal

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by lwknives, Dec 31, 2012.

1. lwknives

lwknives

I just joined an originals band that has no recordings, this is making it difficult for me to learn the songs. Next rehearsal I want to bring my computer and get a rough recording of the songs so I can listen to them over the week and not have to "re-learn" them every rehearsal.
    I want to get a recording that doesnt have my instrument in it or has my instrument way in the back of the mix so I can practice along with it at home.
    We have all the instruments ran into a small mixer (including drums) so I can just run a line out to my computer, but im worried that in the small room we are in I wont be able to get a good mix. Have any of yall had success with running out of a mixer in a small room.
    I also have a condenser mic (cardioid) that I could use to capture the room sound with but then my instrument would be in the mix.

In the end it doesnt have to be a perfect recording, just good enough so that I can learn the songs, but if I could get a good enough recording that I would actually enjoy listening to that would be great.

Any ideas?:bassist:
  2. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

I've played in originals projects most of my career. And for me, the Zoom H2 is one of my most used pieces of equipment. I simply record the rehearsal using it's internal mics. Not the most perfect mix, but hey, I'm just wanting to record the rehearsal so I have a tune to play against on my own time.

I typically dump all my rehearsal recordings into Garageband, edit out the non-music parts, do a little eq, send to iTunes and burn a CD. Done.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'd simply record the rehearsal via th path of least resistance... out of the mixer or thru a mic that captures the room... and not put a ton of effort into making the recording top quality, because it never will be. Hey, this is a rehearsal!

Maybe not the advice you were looking for... but there it is.
  3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

I'm with Slowgypsy on this one. Rehearsal recordings are going to be rough and ugly, but highly useful for practice. Also, I haven't ever really found a need to remove my bass from the rehearsal mix when I'm practicing later. I just pay over it the way I would with any recorded material.

My portable recording device is a Zoom H4n. Sometimes I use external mics, somtimes not.
  4. NKBassman

NKBassman Nerd Supporting Member

When I joined a new band a few months ago, I brought my Zoom H4n to one practice and had them play through all the songs while I just sat and listened. Then I was able to figure out and overdub all my bass parts at home without wasting everyone's time. Easy.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. capncal

capncal

there are a myriad of small, handheld recording devices that can get the job done. in the past my band has used simply a computer and a mic hanging in the middle of the room.

the new iphone has a recorder that's nearly as good as the above mentioned handheld recorders.
  7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

One advantage of the H4n over an iPhone app is the ability to plug in external mics. I often use a stereo ribbon mic (Cascade X-15) for recording rehearsals.
  8. lwknives

lwknives

Well, the store I was hoping to get a connector from didnt have the connector I needed. It looks like I may just be micing a floor monitor with a guitar amp mic. lol.
  9. Staredge

Staredge

I'll throw in a vote for the Zoom H1. I used it to tape all of our rehearsals. Used Audacity to clean it up and separate tracks. Sounded pretty good for such a little, simple thing.
  10. zachoff

zachoff

We just stuck a usb blue mic in the room and recorded w/ Reaper. Seemed to work just fine. If you want to go the whole mixer route you can do that too, but if you're just recording to listen later than all you need is something audible & not necessarily good.
  11. lwknives

lwknives

Im too broke to buy anything so for the time being the zoom is out of the question.
  12. Yango

Yango

I was reading in another thread that there's a bunch of guys that just wrap their iPhone up in a jacket (so the mic doesn't overload) and record rehearsals like that. Apparently it works quite well.
  13. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Don't expect the results to be very good.
  14. lwknives

lwknives

I wont, lol. Hopefully I can figure something else out but its not looking very good.
  15. lwknives

lwknives

I sacrificed the cables for my FX loop and ended up going directly out of the mixer. I got a decent recording but there is almost zero kick. Good enough to practice the songs though.
  16. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

Which was the point actually! Well done....