Recording signal chain help needed

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Administrator

Media:
    ATTN: Smart tech people

Am working on the latest video in my series, but have to make some changes in my audio signal chain because I'm using a different camera this time around. Previously, I would run the bass through an Audio Technica 2022 stereo x/y mic and straight into the camera, then record the voice with a cheap AT lavalier mic running into my digital recorder. The bass sound would be already in sync with the video in Final Cut, and I would sync the voice up after importing the soundfile.

Now the camera I'll be using/trying doesn't have a stereo input, so I'll have to mix the stereo signal from the 2022 and the mono signal from the lavalier into the digital recorder, then sync them up with the onboard mic from the camera. The problem is that both mics end in 1/8" male connectors, and most mixing boards use XLR inputs for mic level signals. I'd love to purchase a cheap mixer (like This one ) for this purpose, but I can't figure out how to connect the mic signals to it. Both mics have battery phantom power, but if i use adapters to get them to 1/4" plugs, they'll be plugging into line level inputs. Will this work (I suspect it won't)?

If not, what kind of mixer do I need? :confused:

2. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Hey Chris,
    I have a Mackie 4 channel mixer that lets you mix 2 XLR channels (with phantom) in stereo but you would still need an adapter to get it into the recorder. It's definitely more versatile than the Behringer and only $99 new.
    http://www.mackie.com/products/402vlz3/
    -Jeff
    (FWIW, I was thinking of selling mine, cause I don't use it)

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Administrator

Media:
    The problem is that none of these mics terminate into an XLR end; rather, I have three signals to mix that all terminate in 1/8" plugs, and I'm not sure what to do with that.

4. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Oh, gotcha... search adapters at Sweetwater (or the like) maybe?
    My local electronics store has a whole wall of stuff to choose from.
    -Jeff

5. Register to disable this ad