Recording software: which is the best one?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Mitch_bassman, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Mitch_bassman

Mitch_bassman

From protools, to reaper. Logic, ableton and garage band. Many more are out there, but which is the best?

I'm looking at setting up a home recoding studio but I don't know which software to go with. Have researched many of them and have a vague idea, but wanted a second opinion.

What do you guys use? And what makes it the best?

Thanks.
  2. sammyp

sammyp

The best one is the one you know how to operate!

Seriously, they are all great! They do the same thing for the most part.... Pick the one that your friends use so you can get help easily....I mean your friends who are more advanced in the recording game then you are.

If everyone in your neck of the woods is using pro tools, then get that, if its cubase then go with that.

Check the system requirements for anything you consider against your current computer, make sure your rig can handle it. Have you picked an interface? Can't have one without the other.
  3. backup

backup

yes it's a matter of preference. they all do the same thing. i prefer cubase because that's what everyone is using around here.
  4. Venom of God

Venom of God

This is great advice, especially useful if you want to get someone else to have a crack at mixing one of your projects! I recently recorded an album for a band with around 130 tracks per song but the bloke mixing it was using ProTools (I use Cubase). It was a nightmare to move it all over!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mitch_bassman

Mitch_bassman

Great advice. Cheers guys, see how I go. Leaning towards reaper or protools... Just so many out there.
  7. Chromer

Chromer

At $69, Reaper is more of an impulse purchase than an investment.

Protools 11 will only support aax plugins. Choices in those are going to be limited and expensive for quite a while, I'd imagine.
  8. EricF

EricF Habitual User

I picked Cubase because that's what my friend who got me into recording was using. Likewise, my firends who have started recording also use Cubase. Having the ability to LOTS of good-quality cheap/free VST plugins is a bonus.
  9. tkonbass

tkonbass I'm just one of the out-of-focus guys. Gold Supporting Member

Albums:
    I use Reaper in my home studio and for the small price it's pretty complete. Unless you have a specific requirement that only one of the "big name" DAW's can satisfy then I would give Reaper a good look. You can try the full "un-crippled" version for 60 days (or longer) for free. But for 60 bucks it's pretty awesome.
  10. lowJPG

lowJPG

x3 for Reaper
  11. Skulldrag

Skulldrag

I use Sonar. Have. Been since it was cakewalk in '97. From what I've heard, Sonar or Cubase is like picking a $75k BMW or a $75k Mercedes. I'd pick the one that other musician that you work with uses. By the way recording direct with the amplitude SVT plugin sounds amazing if ya take some time and work with it;-)
  12. kevteop

kevteop

I started out with Cubase, spent a few years with Protools, currently I have Logic, Protools and Reaper and I like all three. I use Logic for demoing ideas because I like the interface the most, but often end up using Protools for final stuff because everybody else uses Protools.

But yeah, Reaper, amazing for the price. If I was completely new to computer recording I would definitely get Reaper and spend the rest of the money on booze.
  13. EricF

EricF Habitual User

LOL!
  14. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

It would really depend on your budget. For a starting out home studio I'd lean toward reaper. If you were talking about dropping decent money I'd go pro tools. Reaper and pro tools have similar interfaces, so I kinda stick to those two since I learned on pro tools.
  15. Tractorr

Tractorr Supporting Member

Media:
    Do you have an audio interface?

If not, buy one and use whatever comes with it.

I have a Presonus interface and it came with their Studio One software. You know what? It works just fine.
  16. hazmatt

hazmatt

I've tried most of the programs you list and agree with the sentiment they are all adequate, though garage band may not be as powerful as the rest. I settled on reaper myself. When in doubt, support the company that requests reasonable compensation for their product and treats you with respect from the start - reaper doesn't limit functionality with their demo, only guilt trip into messages after 60 days.

Since you list both logic & garage band, are you using a macintosh?
  17. dcarwin

dcarwin

What's the best way to come up to speed on Cubase? I got an LE version free with some equipment, but the GUI is far from intuitive...

Thanks
  18. Mitch_bassman

Mitch_bassman

Mac seems the way to go: I have looked into them compared to a windows PC and for me it would be easier to just get a mac. Though I am all for quality over anything. I am starting a home recording studio up for the first time so all advice is awesome.

I read somewhere on this forum that one way to go is build your own PC. That way you can make sure everything is what you need and can customise any components typing wish. Is one option.
  19. geddeeee

geddeeee

My favourite is Presonus Studio One v2.5.

The new boy on the block, but what a piece of software!! Easy to use with loads of great features.
    Every DAW will do much of the same thing, but I find Presonus' offering to not get in the way of what you are doing.

The GUI is especially impressive. Very intuitive...

5 stars!!!!
  20. cnltb

cnltb

I like logic.
    It's a big program, capable of a lot.
  21. kent1113

kent1113 Supporting Member

I've tried a bunch but Logic Studio is the one for me . . . so far . . .