Recording today what should I bring?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by nukes_da_bass, Jan 19, 2014.

1. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

Hi my band is doing some live recording in a church sanctuary later today. We do classic R&B covers.
    The two basses are a no brainer, one with flats and one with rounds.
    I have two go-to amps, a Mesa 400+ and a Hartke 7000. The Mesa concerns me because the XLR out sends a hot signal, otherwise its my preferred amp.
    Im also bringing an Eden WTDI which is a heck of a DI to go into a board. It doesnt interface so well with the 400+ for live sound imo...
    So...Harke or Mesa? Thoughts appreciated!
    Cheers,
    Nukes
  2. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

The hot signal from the Mesa shouldn't be a problem, just let the sound guy know and he'll pad it down. The Eden DI is small enough that you might as well bring it too, just in case.

Have fun and good luck.
  3. nukes_da_bass

Thanks jim im pretty excited- weve been trying to get a good nightclub sales demo for a while and today just might be the ticket!
  4. pfox14

pfox14

A church sanctuary is sure to give you some challenging acoustics problems. I would imagine that it's a wide open space with lots of echo, so is there a chance you can change venues? Most studios are smaller enclosed rooms with lots of soundproofing for a good reason.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Take both. Hopefully a professional remote recording truck with engineers has been hired - if so, other than your personal equipment t hey should have everything needed to capture the moment - if not, good luck.
  7. Timi

Timi

Lower rent. The main live rooms of top studios usually aren't small and dead.
  8. nukes_da_bass

Session went ok-the engineer couldnt cope with the xlr out signal from the 400+ so like countless other engineers he hooked me up.to a homemade $10 DI so he actually knew how to process the signal.
    Jokes on him tho- it was a 5 string Jazz with P/J pickups and flatwound strings- really hard to screw up that sound IMO.