1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Recording tonight - Markbass cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by chaosMK, Jan 17, 2014.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I am going to be doing some recording with my "light rock" band. Typically I like to blend DI from my head and a little bit of cab (25-50% depending). I want to use my Mesa D180 but may use the 400 since the DI on that one is more usable (the D180 DI is super hot! Master runs around 10 on that for the clean tone, so u can imagine).

I noticed a Markbass 4x10 cab in the studio- it's my buddies.

Markbass cabs are basically voiced like Ampeg cabs right? Low mids bump? My Mesa PH 4x10 is probably a dash aggressive and open on the lows for this band. Plus I hate lugging it!

Any quick thoughts on the tone of the Markbass 4x10? I am not sure of the exact model but it's probably 3+ years old. It looks like this- no XLT style ports.

[​IMG]

The cab tone isnt ultra critical for me (may not end up using it in the mix) but I just like to be meticulous about the details. If it's a little rounder and less aggressive than the PH and doesnt have the SWR no-low-mids, I think I'll save myself the 100 lb PH 410 journey.

2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

take your cab too just in case

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

I figure that you've gotta try both cabs side by side with your amp at least once. Trying them will let you know what to do next time. You don't want to track with a tone that isn't what you want and then regret it every time you listen to what you recorded. Also, you might appreciate having the option of different sounds on different tracks.

4. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I would not want to put all my bets on recording with a cab I've never heard. Definitely bring yours along as well.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I guess what I am saying is (and my question revolves around)... if it's an Ampeg styled voice, I know I can use it.

7. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I played the gig the other night and the backline was that cab and a Carvin B1200 amp. I thought it sounded pretty good. I have the larger front ported version of that cab.