1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Recording with an M-Audio M Track

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by BananaSplit, Jan 23, 2014.

1. BananaSplit

BananaSplit

(TL;DR at the end)

Hello there, my fellow talkbass forumers, I have a couple of questions regarding recording with an M-audio M Track that I couldn't find the answer to after having researched for about an hour, so I figured I would ask here.

M Audio M Track:http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MTrack.html

My amp head: GK Backline 600:http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/gallien-krueger-backline-600-bass-head

My bass is an active one by the way

I'm new to recording, let me start off with that

My question is simple. Is there a way to record with an M Audio M Track without plugging directly into it? As in, is there a way to use my GKbackline 600 in conjunction with the M audio M Track to achieve the same sound that I would get as if I was playing through a cabinet? (Or anything close to that, my main thing is, i'm not too fond of how my bass sounds when directly plugged into the M Audio M Track)

So far what I have tried is running an instrument cable from my bass to my amp head, then running a cable from the direct out section of my amp head to the M Audio M Track. When I do that and try to record, the input level is super high, and there is no way that I know of to lower it. I've literally tried turning every knob so that there would be no sound coming from anywhere, but that didn't work.

The only knob that seems to have any effect is the volume knob located on the actual bass, and even when I turn it half an inch from 0, the input level skyrockets.

There's also a static, crunchy sound on the actual recording.

So with all that being said, is there a way to record with the sound of my amp head in conjunction with the M Audio M Track, or should I have invested money on mic'ing my cab instead of buying an audio interface?

TL;DR

• I run an instrument cable from my bass to my gk backline 600, then a direct out mic cable to the m audio m track
    • When I do that, the input level is too high, it literally goes off the meter, and there's a crunchy static sound present in the background, even when I'm not touching the bass
    • How can I use the M Audio M Track in conjunction with my Gk backline 600 without the input level going so high?

Sorry for it being so long, I just wanted to get everything in there.

I appreciate any help what so ever, i really want to record, so please and thanks in advance, and you all have a nice day, thank you for reading!
  2. Kuchar1992

Kuchar1992

On the M Track gain knob for the channel that you're using, how high do you have it turned up?
  3. Bassfiction

Bassfiction

I had a similar setup/problem going into my interface, I ran it into a mixer first because I was peaking. Solved the problem.

Btw, my setup is a fender j bass (passive) on a ampeg micro vr. I have a -15db button for active basses but that didn't work either. For some reason I got a hot line going into reaper, I think it has something to do with the outputs on the amps, but can't verify that, I'm not too electronically savvy.
  4. nick98338

nick98338

You are running from the direct out of the amp. In pre switch position, that signal is the same voltage as your instrument output. Somewhere between .3 volts and 1.0 volts (nominal). You are plugging that into the mic input on the interface. That mic input expects to see "mic" level voltage. Somewhere around .03 volts. So, you see, you are putting a signal into the interface which is 30 to 100 times what it expects to see. Would probably work better if you plugged the output of your amp into either a "line" input, or "instrument" input on the interface.
  5. BananaSplit

BananaSplit

Thank you all for the replies!

Not high at all! I tried it in every position, and it makes no difference unfortunately

Hmmm, a mixer, you say? I see, I may have to try plugging into one

After reading this, i tried out what you were saying, because it sounded very logical. I plugged the cable coming out of my amp head into the "Guitar Line Input" on the interface, and ran a cable from my bass to the "Insert" Input on the same section of the interface and I got nothing. Just a flat signal is all. So I dunno, maybe it has to do with one (The one cable being a speaker cable and not an instrument cable) of my cables but I doubt it. But just to verify, i'm going to test it with another set of cables this weekend.

The up-side is that I have found a way to manage recording while using the Mic Input, so i'll be using that for now until I get everything fixed.

If anyone is reading this and has the same problem, for the time being, use the Mic Input and connect it to your amp head. From there take an instrument cable and run it from your bass to your amp head. If you're looking to play really hard, you should probably look into a compressor to even out the signals. Its basically what I wrote in my OP, but just restating it for anyone who may have the same problem.

Thanks to everyone who helped, I really appreciate your time and willingness to help me out, I hope you all have a great day! :D
  6. Bassfiction

Bassfiction

Turns out I had a bad head, got a new one and I wasnt peaking/ hot anymore. The mixer did help me when I was in that position though..