1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Recording with an SVT

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by whitespikebass, Mar 7, 2014.

1. whitespikebass

whitespikebass Boy Orbision Supporting Member

When you record with your SVT is it normal that I would need to put the amp across the room from the speaker because the fan is so loud? Or is that an indicator that it is louder than normal?

2. Figjam

Figjam

They are quite loud. When I owned one, my fan was broken, and I didnt mind. :D

3. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Had one of the OLD ones in the 70's~80's that I ADDED a fan to on the transformer side. We used a DI(bass lows) and a Sennheiser 421 in front of the bottom speaker with a fast gate on(mids, highs, tube & bass aggresive sound). Worked fine. You may also be able to do a foam-lined, 3-sided box thing around your SVT head like dot matrix printers got to quiet them down but do allow for ample air flow.

4. Toolmybass

Toolmybass Supporting Member

I lined a small closet with foam panels and was able to shut the door with my mic'd cab in there. Head was 6' away outside closet. No fan noise!!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've only done it at home, but I've done it, and I didn't hear any fan noise out of mine parked on top of the cab. That said, I'm sure there are situations where a more sensitive mic would pick it up, and that's why long speaker cables were invented.

7. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

Are we talking about a studio tracked recording or more of a live type thing. If you are recording a few instruments at the same time , a low mic on the cab probably won't pick up any noise. For individual tracking , across the room is probably a good idea. I have heard of some places even putting the head in another room. Twenty-five foot cables anyone?:bassist:

8. catgut

catgut

Head off cab and low or behind cab or panels or another room will do it. I have never recorded with the head on top of the cab. Just a bad idea. It can generate noise up there when getting pushed hard for grit.

9. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

When recording, you don't want noise. Often special measures are taken to avoid it. If your fan is that loud, it can be replaced with something quieter. It can be unplugged and a bigger quieter fan can be blown into the back of the amp.

Not all SVT fans make the same amount of noise. It depends on the model of SVT, how old the fan is, if it needs to be cleaned, what shape the bearings are in. Some SVT fans are loud out of the box, others aren't as bad.

If the head needs to be across the room while recording it isn't really a big deal.

10. 841NER

841NER

turn the sucker up!!! ;)

11. REMBO

REMBO Supporting Member

i do THIS too!! great call!

12. Jim C

Jim C

This

13. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

14. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

If I was recording at a studio with an isolation booth, I would choose to completely isolate all mic'd cabs whether they be guitar cabs or bass cabs or whatever.

15. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member

Quite normal. I had to do it last weekend. The head was in the main room and the cab was in an iso booth. The drummer, guitarist, keys, percussionist and my self all tracked 5 songs, live , in one day. Pretty happy about that.

16. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

You should've tracked via DI to tape (or HD), edit, then re-amp.

But that costs more.

17. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member

We DI'd and miked the cab (not to tape, though) plus it was free. The college professor used us as for his recording class. Pretty amazing feeling to have a half dozen "engineers" to help set everything up.

18. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

how to deal with an amps fan noise in the studio.

1) use an iso box, one thing people don't realize about iso boxes is they isolate sound both ways. not only do they let you crank an amp without driving your neighbors to crazy but they also isolate sound from outside the box. This is super nice if you want to get away from the "ok were recording, everyone hold your breathe and don't make a souund" deal.

2) similar to the concept of an iso box you could have the amp on the other side of the room and after setting up a mic on the cab you could cover the mic and cab with blankets and or soundproofing foam. this will help with some noise like a amps fan but unlike a nice iso box you won't be able to talk while tracking.

3) If your recording with a computer like most of us do these days you could get rid of fan noise by using a gate plug in.

19. whitespikebass

whitespikebass Boy Orbision Supporting Member

Thanks everyone.

I am recording at home, one track at a time. I have been moving my head off the cab every time, and was just curious to see if that was normal.

My amp is old, but I am not sure how old. It's a blueline so 1969-1972 I believe. The last SVT I had was just as loud if I remember correctly (they were owned years apart).

Is a new, quieter fan much of an expense?? Could I install it? I get tired of having to lift it every time I record. Which is often, and in small increments of time.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    New fan's around $25-30 (you can spend a little more too, but I only paid $30 for one 4 years ago when my 69 SVT's fan ate the big one), and anyone can install it if they know how to operate a screwdriver.

21. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    The best way to mic when I have to, is: Head in the Control Room with me, Speakers mic-ed in the Studio Room. That way there's no fan noise ever recorded.