1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Recording with Apogee One?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by b_minus, Mar 13, 2014.

1. b_minus

b_minus

Feb 17, 2014
    Birmingham, AL
    I recently acquired a First Generation Apogee One, and am using Garageband. I also have Audacity, but have not fooled around with it much.

I am having a hard time getting a clean sound from my bass using the direct input. It comes out sounding like its clipping or distorted (no effects being used).

I have tried lowering the input volume, bass volume, etc. with no real luck.

I am new to all of this and would appreciate some help! Thanks!

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Is it the actual recorded tone that's clipping, or is it just the playback in your DAW (Garageband) that's clipping. If it's the latter, you might be running with two small of a buffer. Try increasing the buffer size (is that even possible in Garageband?).

If it's the actual recorded tone, are you using an active bass with a possibly low/dying battery?

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. b_minus

b_minus

Feb 17, 2014
    Birmingham, AL
    Passive Jazz Bass. I think I may have sussed it out. Sounds ok with headphones, but terrible when played through my speakers. Maybe its them?