1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Recording with music accompaniment?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Resonance129, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Resonance129

Resonance129

Hey forum,

I've been playing bass for a little over a year now, but recently decided I wanted to start recording stuff to Youtube for some constructive criticism. I've purchased an audio interface (M-Audio Mobile Pre) and have succesfully recorded myself playing a few times, but i can't seem to figure out how to record myself playing with/over a piece of music I'd like to cover.
    People do this all the time on Youtube, but when I attempt to record with music playing via Windows Media Player or Spotify, I don't hear the music when I playback the recording; I only hear myself.

What am I doing wrong? I haven't been able to figure it out and it's getting a little frustrating lol...

Help?
  2. nick98338

nick98338

Depends on how your interface routes the ins and outs. I have kinda the same situation with my equipment. Music playing via Windows Media Player is routed to my computer through the firewire channel. However, I cannot record, in the computer, anything that goes through the firewire. I can only record what goes through one of the other inputs of the interface. The microphone/instrument inputs, or the additional, stereo, RCA inputs. Sounds like your equipment is similar. Whether it's firewire, or USB. You have to get the sound into one of the RECORDING inputs of the interface to get it to record. The firewire, or USB channel is NOT a recording channel.

So, my trick it to route the output of my interface back into the input of the interface. I use a small stereo receiver/amplifier. My sound comes from Windows Media Player, through firewire, to the interface, out of the interface stereo output, into the stereo receiver inputs, back out of the stereo receiver headphone jack, back into the interface RCA inputs. Now, because the sound is going into one of the actual recording inputs, I can record it into a track in the recording program. And, of course, I can record my instrument through an actual recording inputs, just like you do, into a track in the recording program. Mix together.
  3. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

The easiest way is to get a software interface for your hardware such as Cubase there are also plenty of free ones and free trials then you just import the music you want to play along side and record your bass part. I think most people just get a decent camera with a microphone that picks up everything at once.
  4. jmclearnon

jmclearnon

I use Logic Pro with my Motu interface...

Literally open mp3 into Logic
    Create new track
    Record bass
    Bounce
    Upload

Tbh i would look into Audacity because its free if i remember.... god place to start anyways
  5. nick98338

nick98338

Sounds like the OP already has software. He did write "have succesfully recorded myself playing a few times".

Opening an .mp3 will work OK when the sound is already recorded, and in an .mp3 file. However, the OP mentioned Spotify, which is streamed to the computer. The sound is not in an .mp3 file, so he can't "open mp3" into any software.

He needs to get streamed sounds into his interface, and then into the recording software.
  6. Chromer

Chromer

The functionality to be able to record waveout has been removed from almost all post-XP windows soundcard drivers. Possibly due to pressure from the content industry industry groups.

As usual, the market finds a solution: Virtual Audio Cable.

http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm
  7. jmclearnon

jmclearnon

anything can be opened in most programs like Logic. I just said mp3 as one type. If it can read in raw audio formats it can read anything else
  8. Resonance129

Resonance129

Wow. All of the input so far has been really helpful. I'm beginning to understand what's necessary for me to do what I'm trying to do. Still a little hazy, but I think that's just because I haven't tried it out yet.

I appreciate all the responses from everyone. And if anyone thinks of anything else, don't hesitate to add it to the thread lol.
  9. Resonance129

Resonance129

And yes, nick98338, I do have software (the Mobile Pe interface came with a scaled down version of Pro Tools). I'm able to compose and monitor myself through the software, but don't know much about how the software works, or what all it can do. If the answer to my problem is simply getting the music file to play through the software so that I can record along with it, I just need to find out how to get the music to play through the software, correct?
  10. jmclearnon

jmclearnon

You can record stuff off spotify but i won't tell you how, because it is illegal .....
  11. seamonkey

seamonkey

If it's windows, go to the control panel and bring up "Sound"
    Go to the Recording tab
    Right click Show Disabled Devices
    Click on the Stereo Mix and enable it
    Anything you hear on the computer you can record through the stereo mix. What you hear is what you get.
  12. Chromer

Chromer

"Stereo Mix" has been disappearing from a lot of Windows soundcard drivers in recent years...
  13. Resonance129

Resonance129

I actually think I figured it out today right before I went in for work lol.
    Basically, I had to import the music file I want into the interface software, add a tab to the track, and record both on the same track. If I have my camcorder going at the same time, I think it'll work. Of course, this is all theoetical cuz I havent tried it yet, but I'm pretty sure that's all I need to do.

Plan to try that as soon as I get home...
  14. Buayaguy

Buayaguy

Just another way of doing it...

I use an Apogee JAM plugged directly into my Mac, and I have Garageband open. I can change my bass track to any of the available "software amps" (or experiment and create my own sounds.)

I import an MP4 directly from my iTunes library to play along with, and I reduce the bass in the track to be mostly gone so my bass is the main low end sound.

I then hit record on my screen capture software (which records my JAM (bass), computer sound (mp4 file) AND my webcam. Hit play in Garageband, and get to playing :)
  15. oniman7

oniman7

Here's an easy way to do it:

1) Download Audacity if you don't have a DAW.

2) If you don't have the song you want to play to, buy it. There's also the option of setting Audacity to "record playback" and playing it through your computer with Spotify for the computer to record. However, this does contribute to poor sound quality and may not be legal.

3) Open up your DAW and put the sound file into Audacity

4) Open a new track

5) Set to monitor playback on both track

6) Record your bass on track 2

Then you export the song as one file and place it over your video using whatever editing system you're using.
  16. Resonance129

Resonance129

Update: So the method I thought would work well didn't work at all lol...
    I'm gonna try again using some of the suggestions made in the forum and see what I can make happen. Thanks again for all the input, folks.
  17. oniman7

oniman7

That still happens to me all the time, usually when I think I've found a workaround to buying a piece of equipment
  18. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

I also have M-Audio that come with ProTool M-Essential ...

If you click on the "?" for help ... everything you need to know is there ... I clicked there, wrote what I wanted ... got the info ... did it ... works wonders ...
  19. oniman7

oniman7

How'd it go?
  20. Resonance129

Resonance129

Well after much questioning, networking, and money spending, I found out what the problem was... My laptop was a peace of crap lol... For some reason, even with the software installed and the hardware hooked up, I could record just me, but couldn't record WITH music because my computer couldnt handle it...

Recently, I bought a Mac and installed the software and hardware on there... Gave it a go the way I figured it was supposed to work originally, and bam. It recorded both me and the music... Disappointing, yet relieving.

Now, I just gotta figure out how to get video capture while playing with the track so I can upload it all to YouTube and get some criticism/feedback...
    Any pointers on that issue?
    Thanks again for all the input, folks.