1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Recordings to quiet - Help

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by nnorbie14, Feb 1, 2013.

1. nnorbie14

nnorbie14

Hi.

Sorry if this question has already been asked multiple times,but I'm only a beginner at recording bass and basically I have no idea what I'm doing.
    I'd like to record bass covers on youtube, but I just can't figure out how to set the proper volume. I'm connecting my passive bass to an audio interface with asio driver via usb (it's an ESI UGM96 http://www.esi-audio.com/products/ugm96/ ) which goes into my laptop. I'm using Nuendo 4 as recording software and everything is perfect until I have to export the bass track,which I almost can't hear. Normalizing the track makes it much louder, but now the gain is too much.
    (take this part as an example )
    I've tried using different software and even amp simulators like Amplitube and Guitar Rig, but I've experienced the same problem : I can't increase the volume without it being distorted.

I feel like I'm missing something crucial,I just don't know what.

Any help would be useful, even naming my problem without explaining it would be much appreciated.

2. silky smoove

silky smoove

Where are your peaks on the recorded track in Nuendo? In other words, what number do the meters show for the output at its loudest part?

Normalizing will simply raise the signal from the loudest peak up to 0db. If you have a signal at 0db, and you're combining it with an external audio source, the combination will exceed 0db, and you will get clipping,

3. nnorbie14

nnorbie14

I hope I understood correctly what you asked .. this is the loudest the bass line gets. (no effects,no amp simulator,not normalized)

[​IMG]

4. topo morto

topo morto

What do you have the switches on the interface set to?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nnorbie14

nnorbie14

Guitar and 0db ,just like in the picture
    [​IMG]

7. topo morto

topo morto

Does +20db make it louder? apologies if I'm being a dillweed

8. topo morto

topo morto

Oh and are you plugging into that right-hand input in the picture? It looks like the +20dB (assuming that's a boost) only applies to that input.

9. nnorbie14

nnorbie14

Wow I'm so embarrassed now.I assumed that it was a microphone input and haven't even tried it.In the right-hand input with +20db the volume is perfect !! Actually almost perfect,while the high notes are crisp clear,the low ones tend to distort a bit.

But even so this is a HUGE leap forward,thank you very much (damn,how can I be this stupid :D )

10. topo morto

topo morto

That graphic on the soundcard is not the clearest - sometimes words can be better than pictures!

can you just turn the bass volume down a bit now? I mean on the instrument itself.

11. nnorbie14

nnorbie14

Yes ! An now it's perfect,damn I owe you so much. Thanks a lot :)

Problem solved,this thread can be closed.