1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Records with black nylon tapewounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by KoalaBass, Dec 27, 2012.

1. KoalaBass

KoalaBass

Which records with those strings do you know?

2. Red_Merkin

Red_Merkin

You can't put strings on records, the tension will break them.

3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Anything Herbie Flowers recorded, so...
    "Walk On The Wild Side" by Lou Reed
    "Space Oddity" by David Bowie
    Almost all of the albums "Tumbleweed Connection" and "Madman Across The Water" by Elton John

Also, John Entwistle reputedly used a Jazz Bass with nylon tapes for the final take of "My Generation" by The Who.

John

4. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

McCartney on the Let It Be album.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

I know Graham Maby has used tapes extensively. Couldn't quite tell ya what albums he uses tapes on, but his tone is one that I love. I have Tapes on my 5er, and they are delicious!

7. N.F.A.

N.F.A. Supporting Member

+1 on Graham Maby's sound. Lucky enough to see him live back in the 80's. Stellar show. Which tapes do you recommend or avoid bassist4dalord? How are pressure wounds different?

8. tonym

tonym Supporting Member

^ This. Graham Maby all over Joe Jackson's early albums (at least the first two). The hook "Is She Really Going Out With Him" is black nylon tapewounds and a pick. Very distinctive.

9. N.F.A.

N.F.A. Supporting Member

Yes, it was a Joe Jackson show. Beat Crazy was especially good that night. Which tapewounds does (did) he use?

10. pbass2

pbass2 Supporting Member

LOVE Herbie Flowers tone and Graham Maby too--shows how tapes aren't a one-trick-pony.
    But I've never heard the My Generation story! I have always thought it was the Dano with flats (and the story goes he kept breaking strings and would buy a new Dano each time...)

11. pbass2

pbass2 Supporting Member

I had the ugliest, beat-up, cheap pickups, cheap hardware, Franken P/J a few years back, and once I put Roto tapes on it I couldn't do a session w/o it becoming an MVP....

12. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

I use D'Addario Tapewounds. Bought them because they are standard-gauge and I'm a D'Addario fanboy. I see no need for me to try any other tapes.

Pressure wounds will have more characteristics of a roundwound. Jason at www.bassstringsonline.com (TBer SlaPinfunK) can explain differences better than I.

I highly recommend trying the D'Addarios!

13. tonym

tonym Supporting Member

I read somewhere a few years back that Graham used Rotosound TruBass strings back then but I can't vouch for the credibility of it. I was lucky enough to see him a few times with JJ in the 80's too. Fantastic shows, and I loved that Joe put Graham up front in the music so much.

14. Rpkelly31

Rpkelly31

I've been using tapewound strings on my de-fretted p bass for years. I've used it for jazz in the past, but currently play in a bluegrass band. The tapewound gives me the ability to emulate the sound of an upright. Well... nothing can truly emulate the sound of an upright... I've been using Fender brand nylon tapewounds with no complaints, although I've never tried any other brand.

15. armybass

armybass Keith Roscoe Basses and Aguilar Amplification Gold Supporting Member

My fretless Rickenbacker 4003 just came with a set of what I believe are D'Addario blacke tapewound. I had no intention of likeing these strings at all... so I certainly did not expect to dig them as much as I do:meh:

16. Root 5

Root 5

The Beatles' Abbey Road album is chock full o' Rotosound nylon tapewounds.