1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Recover 4x10 cabinet, or road case?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mrharrell, Dec 6, 2013.

1. mrharrell

mrharrell Supporting Member

I have an older peavey 4x10 that has served me well over the last 10+ years. The carpet is in bad shape however, and I was considering recovering it with tolex. The thought hit me though, what about just building a road case around it? I checked out some youtube vids by reliable hardware.com on making a road case, and it doesn't seem that bad. I have some woodworking experience, and almost all the tools needed. The thing weighs ~65lbs now. I'm somewhat concerned on the weight after adding a road case to it.

Any thoughts? Just get a 210 or 112 instead?? I primarily have FOH support when I gig. I have considered a Sansamp VT Deluxe into a powered monitor as well.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The road case is definitely the easier option, but boy do they add weight! Instead of tolex, though, I might consider painting it with Duratex. Duratex can be spread to look very much like tolex, and it's very tough and easy to fix if it chips.

The VTD idea isn't bad, but personally, I'd stay away from powered monitors because I've not heard many monitors that deliver a bass sound that I actually like, and the ones that do are super expensive.
  3. mrharrell

Thanks, I hadn't thought about the Duratex option. The road cases I have peeked at would add around 40lb to the weight. The idea of rolling around a 100lb cab doesn't sound like a good idea for a guy that weighs 150lb soaking wet.... :smug:

I wonder if I could just build a box that would essentially be the equivalent of a 2x10 and use two of my existing 10s from that cabinet? The 4x10 is bottom ported, not certain on how halting it would work with the voicing and the ohms...
  4. Mark Nye

Mark Nye

+1
  5. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

Man... unless your on the road often its not worth Road casing it, they are SOOOO heavy.

I have trouble hearing myself so i def like to have a decent cab i can stand next to if need be, putting your faith in the FOH monitor mix often leads to not bieng able to hear yourself than not.

I would recover...
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The good thing about 810's is that you can use leverage to move them around instead of deadlifting them. Of course, that all gets shot to hell if stairs are involved ;)
  7. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Don't try splitting up your cab unless you have the T/S specs to design a box from scratch. Bass cabs are more than just speakers crammed in some wood. Cab/port tuning and the proper need internal volume must be matched to the speaker's needs.

Go with the Duratex. Will add very little to the weight and be much more durable than tolex or rat fur. http://store.acrytech.com/Speaker-C...uratex-Roller-Grade-Trial-Size-Kit-Black.html
  8. busmandan

busmandan

I think a lot depends on how you haul it. I'm shopping for a case for my Berg HT-212 because riding in the band trailer full time is beating the hell out of it.
  9. mrharrell

busmandan, hauling it is a small part of the issue for me. I have a truck, so it is out in the elements if I don't cover it while traveling. If it were in a road case no worries, but what if the truck gets totaled, breaks down, etc... It certainly wouldn't fit in my car with the road case. I'm not certain I really want another truck once this one is gone. I'm thinking a smaller 210 or 112 is what I really need. I could always get a pair if I need the extra umph.
  10. Blankandson

Blankandson

Check dimensions really close - the flight case I got for my Warwick was 3 inches longer than advertised. That made it 2 inches wider than the inside of my Avalon - which is about as wide a sedan as you can get. It also wouldn't fit in the trunk. So it went back.