Recruting new students

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by basdanne, Mar 26, 2014.

1. basdanne

basdanne

Hi. I am working at a music school here in Oslo. I am planning a visit to some schools to recrute new students on the bass. My plan is to start the session with a song that I could play with a backing track or to an original. Any suggestions? Maybe some Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jamiroquai, Muse? It should be something that could be interesting for kids in the age of 11-13.

Best regards
    Daniel

2. G00D+~VIBES

G00D+~VIBES

Maybe a medley that would allow you to use several techniques

3. basdanne

basdanne

Good idea. Maybe some motown, slapping, rock, walking...

4. G00D+~VIBES

G00D+~VIBES

Maybe even a double stop or two, and use lines they may have heard.

Dazed and confused intro or beginning of "ramble on"→ Jackson 5 "I want you back" lead line → slap part in "aeroplane" stuff of that sort

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. basdanne

basdanne

Bumping this one... More advices please!

7. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Elementary school 5th and 6th grade students.......

The most popular pop song right now, then a classical piece of your choice, followed by the school's song, or perhaps the High School's fight song.

Understand I'm from Texas..... I assume there will be band (formal music training) at the Middle School they will be attending shortly, which school are you recruiting for? Private lessons or some other established music school?

Reason I ask; you can narrow your search (pre-qualify the prospects) by speaking to the music teacher at the middle school they will be attending. Having 15 minutes of a school assembly - good luck with that. To sign them up you have to speak to each one that is interested individually, and then get the parent's approval. I also assume there is some money that needs to change hands.

I'd offer your services to the Middle School music teacher and let him/her send you the qualified students. Here in the US you and your school will have to pass through several layers of security checks to even get started down this road.

Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    Luke19Boarder likes this.
  8. Luke19Boarder

Luke19Boarder

Definitely get a super popular song in there, one that the majority of the students will recognize.

9. basdanne

basdanne

Thanks for Your replies. The recrutation is for a music school. In Scandinavia, we have music schools that are financed by the state. The students pay just a small fee every semester. At our school, the fee is about 200$/semester. For that fee, they get one 25 minute lesson a week plus ensemble. All the teachers are proffessional musicians and instrumental teachers with a solid education from conservatory or music college.

Got some ideas here. Thanks!