1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Reddi or Monique

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bassjnky1, Dec 27, 2012.

1. bassjnky1

bassjnky1

Hello all. Hope everyone is having a great holiday.

I am considering a preamp / DI as my next tool in search of the perfect tone. Would some of you guys with experience with these two preamps be able to describe the tonal differences between the Reddi and the Jules Monique. I realize that there is a difference in features and flexibility...I am primarily interested in a comparison of the tonal pallet.

Thanks
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Bear in mind that I'm not basing this on hands-on experience with the Monique but I've listened to many recordings done with the Monique, but I own and absolutely love the REDDI.

They are both fantastic products and very much in the same tonal family. Obviously the Monique is more versatile as a stand-alone, but they both have real tube-amp tone. I've compared the REDDI to a speaker level DI on my 64 B-15, and the tones and response are dead-on, but the B-15 had a very slight noise that the REDDI didn't. Other than that, EQ them the same and I'd be extremely hard pressed to tell the difference. I get that same vibe out of the Monique in recordings I've heard as well. Both of them use large output transformers similar to what tube amps use, and it really makes a difference.

In the end I went with the REDDI because I found one at a great deal and all I needed was a DI since I'm married to my Ampegs. But respect to two truly great non-Ampeg products.
  3. arai

arai

Both are obviously great sounding. But I personally would go with the Monique because I like to be able to tweek the eq if needed.
    Every bass and room is different and may require a shift of the eq, even to take out some zing of new strings. Something the reddi can't do.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    ...unless of course you hook it up into a mixer, which is typical of what you do with a DI ;)
  5. arai

arai

Oh really? well who'da thunk it. ;)

Jokes aside, your idea of to much highs may vary from the other person who is controlling the mixing console. As an example.
    Or say you want to change basses in a set. You may know the second bass needs less lows, the sound guy may take a while to realise because he is dealing with feed back from the trombones mic.
    Nothing wrong with having your own eq flexibility
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Oh sure, having EQ flexibility is great. And that's basically what it comes down to with this choice...pay a few hundy more to get a full-on preamp with EQ that sounds like a real tube amp or pay a few hundy less and get a tube DI with a relatively flat response that sounds like a real tube amp. Both are equally awesome at the jobs they set out to do, and both companies are run by great folks with passion for superior tone. Not like there's a wrong answer here. I just had other ways of EQing my house sound on the fly and I still prefer full-on tube amps for a stage rig.
  7. bassjnky1

bassjnky1

I have been researching this for a while and see the merits of each one. There is not a bad choice here. Ultimately, I will have to solve the cost / features / benefits equation. Not too long ago I had gig that was saved by my BDDI when my amp crapped out (a strange situation that deserves another post) and can appreciate the versatility of the Monique.

I have read replys to questions here on TB from the designers of both and have great respect for their talent and sincerity. I would be a lucky bass player to have either one. What I'm after is a sense of sonic personality that each may possess. It is doubtful that I will have an opportunity to play thru each of them between now and when I am able to buy, so, I am very interested in the impression of this knowledgable forum.
  8. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Supporting Member

I've been avidly following both the Monique and REDDI threads for over a year and like you say there is little doubt as to the talent and sincerity of both builders. I'm sure I'd be extremely happy with either but a couple of things that decided me on the REDDI are the lower cost, easier local availability and that it's very slightly more portable. A huge factor though is I own several preamps and will probably own several more before I'm done. I like the flexibility of being able to try different EQ sections. Right now I'm putting a Barber Linden in front of it and while I haven't had the REDDI very long that setup has gotten nothing but rave reviews at the couple of gigs I've done with it so far.
  9. nomatic

nomatic Supporting Member

I am gonna step out a little and just say Monique is the
    finest front end subjectively I have ever used. I have cut many tracks with Reddi and This D.I. sounds great to be sure but there is something in the way touch responds with Jules design
    that is unique. I have owned or used all the bass specific stuff
    and had Neve, API, Helios, Telefunken ect.. gear in my studio
    but Monique is Queen.....
  10. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

I think it took huge bananas to name an amp "Monique"

But, like Carol Shelby said when naming the GT-350:

"If the car is great, the name won't matter. And, if the car stinks, it still won't matter."
  11. chadds

chadds

You can adjust how the Monique responds to touch.
  12. nomatic

yeah....
    I understand about the sensitivity knob,
    I was just alluding to the speed, touch response while
    still being drenched in butter.......
  13. chadds

chadds

I'm sorry.:)
    While being drenched in butter :) I was attempting to say the Monique has this feature that the Reddi does not.
    Again, both great, great products.
  14. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    While they both have tubes, very different pieces of gear. Reddi is a great tube DI so if you use FOH a lot or are in the studio, it is a fine tool as part of your signal chain. Monique is an all-tube hand-wired preamp that also has DI capability. It can drive most any amp and will sound and feel fantastic while giving you a lot of control over your tone and can serve as the center of your signal chain.

The only real overlap is that they both can be called a "tube DI" - but Monique is way more than that.
  15. nomatic

I ment to say every note drenched in butter.....
    No worries on the sensitivity thing...
    I was just messin...
  16. chadds

chadds

I know:)
    Buttah Drenched
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I had some buttah going on my gig tonight with the REDDI too, dammit!

:D
  18. nomatic

Dang.....
    I have to wait a little longer for Monique but she is burnt into my memory after the demo Jule sent some time back.
    JEALOUS...but I am trying to not get fired by my wife...
    These appropriations need need not hit the house oversight committee.
    Two new basses, a composite TC 115 and soon Monique will be mine..:ninja:

HaHaHaHaHa...