REDDI Tube DI Mega-thread-II

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Chef, Jul 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  2. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
  3. nouroog

nouroog Supporting Member

Subscribed for a new round

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Good thread so far.

:D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    I like it so far, too.

7. nouroog

Well as far as I recall, first thread covered being enthusiastic about it, carrying it around safely, comparing it to other DI boxes, marvel at how good it sounds and how well it sits in the mix, swapping and comparing tubes, evaluating it as a potential preamp... What do I forget ?

What's next ?
    I've still to try the REDDI as a mic preamp to see how it colors the sound of the few dynamic mics I own (PR40, SM57, AKG D12), just for fun.
    I don't remember if it has been covered yet, but I'd be interested to hear how you guys mix a REDDI track with a mic'ed cab track.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    When I first got the REDDI, I figured I'd do both in venues where I could get two lines and the soundman wasn't a jerkoff. I love micing cabs and have traditionally not liked DI's. But I haven't really felt the need to mic cabs anymore. Somewhere in the advertising for the REDDI, there's a sentence that goes like, "The 1/4" out is untreated so you can run direct with the REDDI and have an untouched signal going to your amp for cab micing, and then you can erase the cab mic track when you hear that you don't need it." That's kind of how I feel about it, too. I mic'ed because I was looking for that level of balls that DI's weren't giving me. The REDDI gives it to me now, so I don't feel the need to mic like I used to.

The one thing I would still mic a cab for, though, is for distortion from a tube amp, but having said that, I'm very satisfied with how the REDDI handles distortion pedals as long as you cut highs past 5k. So I could go either way on that as well.

I know this reply is centered more around live work and not recording, but I think it still applies.

9. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I agree, Jimmy. Mic'ing a cab hasn't even crossed my mind since I've started using the REDDI...

10. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    By the way - here's a pretty hip tip for adding some mild crunch after the fact in a studio/DAW environment. It's not REDDI specific... but it does sound REALLY nice when you do it to a bass track that was recorded through a REDDI.

11. nouroog

Well that's a very interesting answer for me. It more or less confirms what I had guessed from your different posts but I'm interested to hear you confirm that you (almost?) no longer mic your cab live since you use the REDDI.
    I still have to find how I will use it live, since I like to overdrive my amps a bit, and don't own a VT pedal (yet...)
    For recording, I'm still experimenting mixing the REDDI track with the mic'ed. But for now, I'm not satisfied with the results.
    Thanks RocketMusic for the link ! I will watch that ASAP, hope it will give me hints I will be able to use.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Funny he pulled up a Sansamp plugin to do that trick with adding distortion ;)

Anyway, it's basically the same thing you're doing, Nouroog, except you're using a mic'ed cab and they're using a Sansamp plugin, and they're rolling off the lows on the distorted track, which is usually how a blend is done. Stuff like that is just a matter of finding the right EQ combinations for each sound. Or maybe it's turning one off in favor of the other and not worrying about blending. Really hard to say without being there, but if you'd like to fly me and the wife to Paris, I'll be happy to be help ;)

13. nouroog

That's the balance I'm still looking for.

:)
    Well if I had the money to do so, that would be an instant deal, with great pleasure ! :)

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'd offer to have you just fly me, but if I went to Paris and didn't take my wife, guess who would come home to a divorce court summons?

;)

15. nouroog

Mmmh. Yeah. A trip to Paris leaving wife at home seems something you can't justify to any judge. Nor any wife.
    "But I swear, honey, I was just giving EQing advice to a fellow bassist ! ... Why, YES, I had to BE there for that!"
    Tricky...

16. nouroog

Well, THAT had not been covered in the first thread.
    Sorry for the OT...

17. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    Subbed! Thank you Chef for keeping it simple and straight

18. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    You know, sometimes a wild idea that you think shouldn't work makes a real good first impression, and I've discovered that's what happened to me when I thought that running the REDDI into other amps not up to its tonal level to boost them up might work out. Not so much. Extensive recording tests tonight proved to me that it's only slightly better than the other gear by itself, and really takes a toll on what goes to the board. It fares quite a bit better going the other way, running other gear into the REDDI, but none of it is as good as the REDDI by itself. Made a good first impression when I tried it through my Micro VR the other day, but the comparison clips don't lie. Not going to bother posting them...I didn't even save them. No point. It's not even debatable.

OK, so I admit it...crazy idea is crazy. But I tried it out, and now I don't have to wonder about it anymore. That's worth two or three hours out of my life, right?

Right?

Testing one two...

20. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    Well, that begs the question, Jimmy: What is your current signal chain when you include REDDI in it?

21. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Well Fritz...

;)

Upright side goes Upright > X2 wireless > Barber Linden EQ >

Electric side goes Bass > X2 wireless > Boss OC-2 > Boss SYB-3 set for envelope filter > Modded JohnK Greedtone Overdrive clone >

Both sides go into a Morley ABY, then to a Korg Pitchblack and into the REDDI, then into my B-15 or SVT.

At least that's the way it goes since two weeks ago. I rotate pedals in and out here and there, and sometimes I don't use any at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.