1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Redundant Preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MrBKerth, Feb 24, 2014.

1. MrBKerth

MrBKerth

Hello all. So I have a streamliner 900 and I've been looking to get a slightly more overdriven and warm sound out of it. I like the tone of the ebs valvedrive ( I know, expensive ) but is adding a distortion/preamp pedal to this amp that already has a tube pre already in it pointless and redundant?
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not if it's getting a different sound that you like.
  3. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

It's only pointless and redundant if you can already get the tone you want from the amp itself. And even then, a stompbox can be a practical addition. My amp has a very nice "drive" circuit, but I tend to leave it at a pretty mild setting, and keep a distortion pedal (alsdo EBS, as it happens) on my pedalboard where I can quickly kick it in and out of my signal path when I hit passages that cry out for extra dirt.
  4. MrBKerth

MrBKerth

Thanks! I tend to doubt my moves tone wise since I'm just edging into the waters with nothing but tb as reference. I've been at bass only two years and tone building for only 1 so I like to get opinions.

I like the GB gain stage and it's general presence a lot but sometimes (probably my settings or maybe even bass) it is a little "loose" in the distortion tone. My idea was to ad warmth and that tight crunchy dirt I've heard out of these pedals.

Secondary query, Is this something that you'd put inbetween the bass and amp or in the effects loop (never had an effects loop before)
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I never use a loop for any reason at any time, especially when using dirt pedals or pres.
  6. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Putting it between the bass and amp lets you shape the distorted sound with your amp's tone controls. I don't know your particular amp, buit the effects loop is probably post-EQ.