1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Reed James RJ Neo Vintage Vibe Jazz pickups review

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by shrigg, Dec 5, 2013.

1. shrigg

shrigg Supporting Member

[​IMG]

These are the best Jazz pickups I've ever heard. Great articulation and punch and totally noiseless. I've never found a true noiseless pickup that did not have some sort of tonal sacrifice until these came along. Check out the video for soundclips and my full review.

One thing to note is that the current production models are not oversize like mine are. So fitting into a vintage pickguard will not be tight like it was for me. Anyway here they are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lje1jWUkAeU

Enjoy!

:bassist:

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Would love to compare these to DiMarzio Area J's, which are noiseless singles that sacrifice nothing. I love Neo pickups though...mainly SGD :)

What DID you directly compare these to?

3. shrigg

shrigg Supporting Member

I had Area J's with 500K pots and it's no comparison. In fact the Area J's are the very noiseless pickups I was referring to when I mentioned tone sacrifice. To my ear they lost the true singlecoil sweetness. The RJ Neo's retain the sweet organic character of the original gray bottom Fender single coils but add a hi fi dimension that is amazing. They are much more dynamic with nicely extended highs. I'm sure they would really impress with a preamp.

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Great review I was not familiar with the brand.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I have nothing but positive experiences with Reed James. Great products and customer service.

7. Grissle

Grissle

So these are $450-$500 for the set?

8. shrigg

shrigg Supporting Member

They are a LOT less expensive than that... Pricing info is here on the Reed James site: http://reedjamescustom.com/id46.html

In my opinion they are a steal. These pickups are really something special!

9. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

They do sound good! $225 a set. Not cheap, but I've seen worse :)

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I love the sound of these pups I was thinking about some SDG's but these are really nice and quiet love it.

11. MarkA

MarkA Registered Schmoozer. Supporting Member

Very interested in these pups.

12. MarkA

MarkA Registered Schmoozer. Supporting Member

Talked with James Reed on the phone. Got a set of these -- sort of -- coming in. By "sort of" I mean that my bass is a P/J, not a J/J. It's my beloved main player and these will be auditioning to replace the EMGs that have been there ever since I've had the bass (when I was 15!). Will post up my impressions here or in another thread when they're installed.

13. atom1962

atom1962 Supporting Member

i put Reed James RJ Neo Vintage Vibe Jazz pickups in my jazz , and my bass sound fantastic.......paid 180 for a set, i have tried other pickups, his is absolutely the BEST...
    so i ordered a set for my a custom J/J for my Fodera..fantastic upgrade.
    now i am waiting to replace pup in my p bass.....

14. ninnlangel

ninnlangel

15. ninnlangel

ninnlangel

Well, I finally got my pickups... Haven't had a chance to try them yet. I will not be ordering from him again, even if they sound incredible. I like a more respectful and honest way to deal with customers.

joeyl likes this.