1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

refinish question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by happychicken, Mar 25, 2014.

1. happychicken

happychicken Supporting Member

i am in the process of sanding off sealer from bass body i am refinishing. When i go to reseal this can i use an automotive sealer or does it have to be a type of wood sealer. I am concerned to how the auto paint (which i plan to paint bass with) will react if it isn't sprayed over the same brand sealer.

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Why are you sanding off the original sealer? If its already sealed then you are just causing more work for yourself.

3. happychicken

True but I have no idea how primer will sit on this sealer. I don't want to chance getting bubbles in the finish. I'm not really sure that's a valid concern or not. Also in evey refinishing video they take it off...

4. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Me, I would NOT use automotive sealer. I would use wood sealer since its wood youre sealing, not a car. I refinished my P bass with a few coats of tung then about 4 coats of rub-on poly. It worked out great. I would only use finish that is supposed to be used on wood, not on steel.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Hopkins

Most of my builds are finished with automotive urethane. If using a solid color, I seal it with as many coats of clear that it takes to get the grain sealed and sanded level, then the color coat, followed by clear again. On a natural finish, I use the urethane clear throughout the process. Its a catalyzed finish, it doesn't care what its sprayed on, as long as its hard and clean. The nitro lacquer that Fender used were all automotive colors.

7. Hopkins

Well, if you don't sand the sealer off you wont need to use a primer, the sealer that is already on the body is enough. And there is basically zero chance of anything you spray on top of it bubbling or lifting it.

8. Deep Cat

Deep Cat Supporting Member

Media:
    +1

Also, I'm pretty sure the vast majority of finishes on guitars and basses nowadays are automotive urethanes, or a chemical mix too close to matter.

9. Deep Cat

Media:
    Fender (and I'm sure others as well) would shoot right over a completed finish if they got more orders for the new color, or if they didn't think a burst was up to snuff.

10. happychicken

Well thanks a lot for all the input! I am going to do a candy finish on this. 2 coats primer, two coats silver, metal flake in intercoat clear, two or three coats trans orange and then six clear coats. Do I need to seal this then or can I just prime it and rock on?

11. Ironfingers

Ironfingers Supporting Member

I would trust what Hopkins is saying, so I think the consensus it to...

ROCK ON!!!!

12. Hopkins

Sounds like a plan, but you are going to need a silver, base coat for the silver flake Grey primer will work, but it wont look as good.
    I have sprayed quite a few flake finishes, so don't hesitate to ask any questions.

13. Deep Cat

Media:
    Orange candy sounds amazing. Please post pics when you are done.

14. happychicken

Ok! Well I am using a primer then 2 color coats of silver, then flake in intercoat clear, then trans orange, then clearing it.
    I have sanded through the original sealer in spots. Should I go buy a wood sealer or will the primer/sealer (auto primer sealer) be ok?
    Thanks for all the help! I reek of noobizim

15. Hopkins

Yes, the primer will seal the wood, just make sure you keep building it up and block sanding, until you have a dead level surface before switching to color coats.

I am assuming that you have sprayed paint before, and just inexperienced in spraying wood. This is a pretty ambitious project for beginner, make sure you have a gun with at minimum a 1.8mm tip for spraying your flake, my flake gun is dedicated to only spraying flake, because no matter how good I clean it, I seem to always find a random flake in my next project if I use my flake gun to spray clear.

16. happychicken

Thanks!! I have used HVLP spray before for other stuff. That stuff came out great so I'm hoping this will go well. I only have jam guns no full size guns. The flake I am going to spray is micro flake which they "say" will work with my 1.0 needle jam gun. I actually may just use a harbor freight gun for the flake and if it doesn't clean out ill toss it.

17. Hopkins

Skip the harbor freight gun and get one of these. This exactly the gun I use to spray a flake finish. Its cheap and sprays beautifully. I use the same gun in a 1.5mm tip to spray clear and color coats.