Refinishing a paint chip in white poly

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Apr 14, 2014.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

I bought this bass:

[​IMG]

and when it arrived there was a large chip taken out of the forearm contour caused by the shipping box being dropped in transit.

What should I use to fill the chip and how should I repaint so that it looks undamaged?

I can post a pic of the damage tomorrow - it's at work right now.
  2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Depending on the size of the chip, you can match the paint as close as possible with some automotive touch up paint, then fill the remainder of the chip with CA glue. When its dry, wet sand it with a small flat block up to 2000 grit then buff it out. The repair will be visible if you are looking for it, but you will have to be looking for it.

EDIT: Here is a great video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTVScFJoe24
  3. fourstringbliss

Sounds good. I'll see if I can find a white auto paint pen and then use CA. Thanks!
  4. fourstringbliss

Here's a pic of the damaged area

[​IMG]

so, white auto paint and then CA glue, right?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Have you contacted the shipper about getting reimbursed for the damage? If it was shipped insured, you can probably get it refin'd...although it will be a pain to carry out the process.
  7. fourstringbliss

It looks like the most I could get would be $40, and that won't be enough to pay for a refinish.

I have, however, found a urethane based white automotive touch up pen, and some good CA glue with an accelerator that I could get all for less than $40. I figure I can probably get it fixed well enough.
  8. Hopkins

That looks bigger than a little chip, but you can still repair it the same way. The repair will be more noticeable the bigger it is. Dont use the accelerator, use thin CA and build it up in layers.

Post pictures when you are finished.
  9. fourstringbliss

Will do. Thin CA, right? Medium thin wouldn't work? I want to apply the glue until it's above the level of the surrounding finish, right? I can see the thin stuff working when there's a depression, but once the glue is to the level of the surrounding finish wouldn't the thin stuff run all over the place?

I bought this stuff on Ebay

[​IMG]

it's listed as "medium thin".

Why no accelerator?
  10. Hopkins

That stuff should be fine. The accelerator can make it cloudy looking.
  11. fourstringbliss

Gotcha. Thanks!
  12. fourstringbliss

I decided to scratch the paint and super glue idea because the chip goes over an edge. I couldn't see how I was going to get glue to stay in one part and not run out of the other part and down the side of the bass. I also didn't want to try and color match paint in the chip with the surrounding body paint and try to sand the CA smooth so that there was a level surface with hopefully no ghost marks.

I chose instead to fill the chip with "white" wood filler and then sand it down flush with the surrounding finish. I used successive grits of micromesh and now it's pretty darn smooth.

[​IMG]

Since the body is all white I figure I'll prime and repaint the whole body with white automotive aerosol and clear coat it with automotive clear coat. This will dry quickly and I can be back on my way!

Now I just need to take it in to my local auto paint store (about a mile away) and get the color code so I can order me up some paint.
  13. fourstringbliss

I'm debating about painting the whole thing a different color, but I'd have to paint over the headstock logo, and that means I'd have to recreate it somehow. I should probably just go with the white, huh?
  14. Hopkins

I would have just filled the chip, instead of trying to refinish the whole thing with rattle cans.
  15. fourstringbliss

I didn't think I'd be able to match the color well enough or make it look invisible.