refinishing question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SwagAttack, Dec 28, 2013.

1. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

I have a bass that I am trying to refinish. I sanded it a bit, but when I started spraying, the paint started dripping around spots that were sanded a little deeper. Should I sand all the way to the wood, or can I use something else to make it more even? I have vinyl sealer, but I am not sure if you can use that on top of paint.
  2. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Did you prime it? are you using auto paints or reg lacquer?
  3. StreetScenes

StreetScenes Gold Supporting Member

What type of paint are you spraying? When you say dripping do you mean it looks like a fish eye?

As far as sanding. I'd sand enough to level out the surface. A factory finish makes a great sealer and most times stronger than what you can do at home.
  4. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

I am using guitar laquer. What happened was I sanded it down a bit, while some parts went through to the wood, so there are ridge looking things. And the paint starts to gather on the edges and drip from there. Should I sand the drips then put some type of primer on it?
  5. StreetScenes

StreetScenes Gold Supporting Member

It sounds like your best bet is to wait until it drys, sand down the drips and seal the spots with some primer. I'd go back and wet sand the spots with 440 grit wet and dust on the color coats. It sounds like you are building the coats up heavier than you need.
  6. Beej

Beej

Sounds like it could be a lot of things. I think some pictures will improve the quality of solutions that can be recommended... :)
  7. pfox14

pfox14

Sand down to the wood for the entire thing. You can't start with spots that show bare wood and some that don't It isn't an even surface for spraying. Once you sanded down to bare wood, use a good vinyl sealer first and then scuff it with 220 sandpaper. That will provide a much more even surface for the lacquer.
  8. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

No, it will cause a lot more work. It would be much easier to build up the areas that are sanded to bare wood and block sand them level.