1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Reflecting over 2012

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tony Flow MMMM, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

Anything happen for you any change if mindset ideas or situation? Regret or good riddance?

This was a big year of change for me politically and religiously. I have never been so "open minded" and would have never seen this coming.

2. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

2012 was a pretty good year for me. I got a decent-paying job, formed a bond with my youngest nephew, and discovered short scale basses. I learned more about myself and how to deal in social interactions, that I won't go into detail here. Also, I think I reached a level of maturity appropriate for my actual age.

3. Ziltoid

Ziltoid

Just underachieving as usual.

4. Exxcell

Exxcell

This.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassteban

bassteban

I did some bike riding, AND got laid

7. stratovani

stratovani

I landed a steady job, I joined a band, and I became an atheist. Not a bad year! :)

8. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

I'm earning, for the first time in my life, doing the job I've always wanted.

I was convinced I was going to die alone, was thinking about moving to Tibet to become a monk.

Than one day, I met with a close friend of mine of 7 years. Long story short; we got drunk, we fell for each other and 7 months later she accepted my ring. I want to spend the rest of my life with her.

Come to think of it, 2012 is the only year that something really good happened to me in my 28 years of life.:D

9. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

It's been a very busy year with work, everything else has had to sit to the side a bit.

2012 should also be my last full year in education, which, after 23 years, is worrying . . . what do you mean get a real job?!?

10. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

Lost my dad to cancer :(

11. pie_man_25

pie_man_25

well, I went from being in a band, to being at work or school basically all the time. That being said, I saw my favourite band ever for the first time on my birthday, and I've built some more stuff - building things is cool. I've also written about 20 songs this year.

12. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

I didn't have any of my friends die tragically this year, so all in all I'd say it's a leg up on 2011.

13. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

2012 was a good year for me. New job, focused my programming career, new good friends, further eliminated bad friends, started looking to put a ring on my girlfriend...

Oh, and several nice basses too :D

14. 20YearNoob

20YearNoob

Let's see...
    This year I saw a couple of heroes in concert: Herbie Hancock in DC and Christian McBride in Tampa.

I bought 3 basses and fully returned to bass playing (as a hobby, granted) after many years hiatus.

Oh... And I got engaged, gaining 2 awesome kids in the process.

Good year so far... :)

Edit: damnyouautocorrect

15. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

I quit school and took on a day job, and now I'll be working it for the rest of my life.

I bought a truck, and immediately had to do freeze plugs, reseal the rear end, brakes, ball joints, tie rods, a belt and tensioner, oil change, coolant flush, etc. Even after all that, it recently broke down so I did plugs, wires, crank sensor, cap, rotor, pickup coil, and finally, an ignition coil. Oh, and it still needs a trans flush, abs sensor, window motor and regulator, o2 sensors, and a door lock actuator.

I didn't get to see Rush, and things have been a rollercoaster on the emotional/romantic side of things.

I got in the Christmas spirit and bought toys, candy, and art supplies for charity even though I was close to being broke, and when I took them in, didn't even get a thanks. I know it's not about getting acknowledged, but still. A week earlier, I took a box of food items into a food bank, and the guy asked, "Is that all?".

I realized that my 19 years have passed quickly, and with them, many irreplaceable opportunities.

I realized that I am holding myself back, and even worse, that I am letting others hold me back.

I am losing my faith that there is some benevolent force somewhere out there keeping an eye on us puny humans.

Fantastic year, eh?

16. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

Beginning of the year, my 5 year relationship with the woman I was living with ended. Damn near killed me, to say the absolute least.

I have lost 45lbs since then. In a healthy manner, mind you.
    Built an even stronger bond with my brother.
    My friends are the best humans I know. They helped me so much.
    I have regained my spirituality.
    As well as I now have a super hot, amazing girlfriend who is a suburb pianist and singer. Girl of my dreams. I got reeeaaaallly lucky, imo. :)

2012 went from near death to one of the best years I've ever had. But, we still have a bit of time to go so I'm not gonna pull that gun yet. ;)

17. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

I went from 0 bands to 2.

I made more than I ever have

I had some expensive things returned that I never thought if see

I celebrated one year with my wife!

I started learning upright bass!

18. kbuschmann

kbuschmann Supporting Member

You didn't really lose him. He's still around. Though I bet you already know that.

19. tplyons

tplyons

I had a blast.

* Started a new job within my company.
    * Extensive traveling to some great places for work.
    * Became a recognized expert in my area at work.
    * Supported the launch of a new product in Canada
    * Started my MBA program
    * Paid of significant debt
    * Scuba certification
    * Flew a helicopter

Just to name a few... next year I'm to concentrate on the areas that I missed, like physical health and mingling with the ladies. I've been having too much of a good time