Refurbishing Plastic HS Case for 1984 Peavey Fury Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ed_in_NE_Ohio, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Ed_in_NE_Ohio

Ed_in_NE_Ohio

I recently picked-up a used 1984 Peavey Fury bass as my first bass. It's in very good shape, is pretty well set-up, and sounds just fine. I am quite happy with it!

It came with the original, hard-plastic case.

The case is quite grungy, and the foam padding inside the case in the cavity for the body of the bass has mostly disintegrated. The previous owner had placed a bath towel in the compartment to prevent the disintegrating foam & residual glue from getting on the bass. That's how it was shipped to me, and this is a functional fix.

However, I'd like to fully refurbish the case if possible. My wife is confident she can make a crafts project out of re-padding the body cavity of the case if I can get all the old foam & glue out of there. Hence, two questions:

* What is the best thing for cleaning the plastic surfaces of the case (outside & inside)?

* What is the best way to remove the disintegrating foam & glue from the body cavity inside the case?

Thanks much in advance.

Oh, and I'm having a ball so far! Why did I wait till age 52 to start playing bass?! :bassist:
  2. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Cleaning: Soap and water. Spray cleaners. Naphtha for non-water soluble schmutz. Follow with soap and water. Use a bristle brush the scrub and the rinse to get into any fine grain.

Foam removal: Soft foam gets yanked out. Scrape out the glue and use solvents to remove any residue. Finish with soap and water.

Hard (styrofoam) foam gets cut and yanked out. Clean as above.
  3. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

I have a Patriot case whose foam was rotting when I bought it. The person who sold it to me had lined the body cavity with a dish towel, but I wanted to get all the crud out. I sprayed it with Goo Gone and scraped out the big chunks with one of those paint scrapers that holds a razor blade. I then went through half a roll of paper towels wiping out what was left. I washed the towel and put it back in the cavity, and called it good.
  4. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

Closed cell hikers foam roll to repad - will not degrade

Keep all solvents away from your bass - just water
  5. Ed_in_NE_Ohio

Ed_in_NE_Ohio

Thanks all for the advice.
    Windex, a paint scraper, a brush, and a few old hand towels pretty much did the trick.
    Got all the foam residue out of the body cavity, and now just old glue beads remain.
    We're confident we can apply new glue around the existing beads and install the new foam padding.
    The Windex got the remaining surfaces quite clean.
    Thanks again.