1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Regarding headstock

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jlo95, Feb 18, 2014.

1. jlo95

jlo95

Does anybody know the function (if there is one) of the knob sometimes seen on the tuning gear of some uprights? pa593.jpg
  2. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    I dont know about others, but the ones on the right side of my bass control the temperature of the sun.
  3. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

They're generally called hatpegs, and they're a vestige of the old days. They serve the same purpose as the metal rollers on metal tuning machines.
  4. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Just FYI and for general terminological geekiness, it's called a pegbox. The bit on top is the scroll.
  5. klem.gote

klem.gote

Disclosures:
    Bass Player
    Well would you turn it up a little please? We're freezing here in New England!!!!
  6. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

They are there to help with proper playing position. If you lean the bass too far in, the bruise on your head serves as a temporary reminder.
  7. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Kinda like curb feelers for your bass? :D
  8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    I've never been able to confirm this, but I suspect the peg protrudes to keep it from getting split by the pin that secures the cog.
  9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    More like drurb feelers.
  10. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Yep, Google hat-peg/hatpeg tuners.

:eek: WOW, the usual TB terminology would force me to think that You Sir and I are among the very few who actually call it a pegbox.

Over here anything wooden above the end of the FB (- the nut) seems to be called the scroll.
    Right or wrong, I don't know, but to me that just doesn't make much sense.

Regards
    Sam
  11. drurb

No, you're not the only two and you're quite right. That section is definitely properly referred to by many as the pegbox. The area above it that looks like a scroll of parchment is called the scroll. :)
  12. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Chief Low-Frequency Facilitator, Gollihur Music LLC
    I get it a lot from crossover players; worse is when they talk about their "fretboard."

It'd be real easy to be snarky, but I just have to bite my tongue. Yes, it's not the proper terminology, but I try not to be too elitist about it. If I have the opportunity to "educate" them without making them feel dumb, I will - but as long as we can communicate I try not to get too bent about it. ;)
  13. drurb

It's pretty easy to politely educate and, if done in the proper spirit, people usually appreciate the gesture.
  14. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Disclosures:
    Bassist
    Add to the list the guys (on the bass guitar side) that talk about maple or rw necks when they are really talking only about the fingerboard.

IMO, correct terminology is very important to avoid mistakes.
  15. drurb

+1. This is sure true as well in the Amps forum where terms get mashed quite often. :)
  16. robobass

robobass

Disclosures:
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Exactly!
  17. drurb

Interesting observation, F. The fact that it protrudes certainly seems to prevent splitting. I always thought that the design was modeled after the tuning pegs on other stringed instruments on which the protruding peg gives you something to grab to turn it.