Regarding slap bass technique ...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ewemule, Nov 30, 2012.

1. ewemule

ewemule

Does this style mostly incorporate a chord ? Or Slap Pop technique.
    Marty

2. Duckwater

Duckwater

You can do whatever you want with it, using chord tones is a great way to put together a good slap line.

3. sammyp

sammyp

Slap Bass is heavy on the octave relationship - same note name - 12 tones apart! IE: (A) 5th fret E string and 7th Fret D string ....Slap the E string and pop the D string .....that sort of thing!

4. ewemule

ewemule

Thank you !
    Marty

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

+1 to previous comments. Also, it's good to know where the funky notes are.

Many funk tunes vamp on 7th chords, because, well, they're funky! G7, for example, incorporates the following notes: G (root), B (major third), D (perfect fifth) and F (minor seventh). Approaching the third, fifth, or seventh from a half step below can sound VERY funky. In other words, Bb to B, Db to D, and E to F. Try working out some ideas using this concept, and try them in several keys.

Also, don't neglect your old friend the blues scale. (In G again for consistency: G, Bb, C, C#, D, F, G). Even though this has a minor third it sounds great under a 7th chord.

Chromaticism works great too. Try going from the root to the sixth below, and walking chromatically back to the root. Play two eighth notes for each note, spaced by an octave as suggested by sammyp.

Also, open string keys such as E or A are very common, because those open strings open up further possibilities. That said, don't rely too much on them. Some guys can only slap in open keys. What I'm trying to say is, learn to slap in all keys, but be conscious of some of the additional possibilities with open keys.

Hope this helps. :bassist:

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings
    Why don't we move this over to Techniqe, since it's definitely techniqe related?

8. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Slap is dominated by E7 pentantonic line ...

9. Piggy8692

Piggy8692

Possible stupid question, whenever I've done slap/pop in the past I've always made good use of the octaves. My guitarist has suggested that I try some slap/pop in a metal oriented band. He doesn't want me to use octaves. What/Who would you suggest I look for as inspiration when looking for some heavier sounding minor or diminished slap lines?

10. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    Why would you listen to a guitar player about slapping. LOL!!!! Do you make suggestions to him about guitar playing. I'm just being funny. You just have to work it up. Youll probably just end up playing double stops and incorporating into your slap style. Instead of hitting the octave hit a 3rd or 5th or 10th etc. 10ths work really well and they sound funky.