1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Reggae practice time

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Skindie, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Skindie

Skindie

Ey up :) it's been slowly dawning on me that my current band practice amp (a Roland cube bass 30) is way too quiet and just can't keep up with the two guitars, singers and drums. My only other amps are an ashdown combo and a peavey combo, both of which are too heavy to lug backwards and forwards to the rehearsal rooms. So now I'm looking for a reasonably priced head and cab (not more the £450 for the head or £300 for the cab and fairly light) for band rehearsal, mostly reggae and Ska. So what do you guys recommend? Cheers :)

2. el murdoque

el murdoque

i recommend that you'll have a look at the markbass heads.
    I bought a LMII used this year to fill a gap while waiting on my tonehammer to be delivered. I intended to sell it once the aggie arrives but i'm still hanging on to it.
    Especially because of reggae. The Bass is bone dry and reaches all the way down,
    if sufficient cabs are being pumped by that little box. It was €350 in as new condition.

3. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

4. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

The GK MB115 combo amp will do the job for you at a mere 35 lbs or so. I've even gigged it in medium-sized bars. I don't know what they cost in euros; they go for $500 in the States.

HTH.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection. Supporting Member

Two 30LB 112s will give you the max portability/loudness ratio. See my sig for what I recommend... would work especially good for reggae.

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    I recommend the GK MB500 head, about £420 from thomann.de. That light little head packs a real 500 watts at 4 ohms. A good light cabinet is the Gallien Krueger NEO115-III (£420), or perhaps a Markbass Traveler 151P, which is lighter, but about £440. Don't know if those prices include VAT.

That GK MB500 can easily push a pair of either of those cabs, so you can expand it to that—which would make a formidable Reggae rig. Me wi see Ya! :cool:

8. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

+1. Yep - no doubt.

OP: Any of the G-K MB combo amps would be an upgrade.

9. Skindie

Skindie

Thanks for all the feedback! :) I think I'm probably going to go down to my local guitar store to try out the gk mb 500 :)