1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

reggie hamilton bass hate the tone

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by travis82, Dec 15, 2012.

1. travis82

travis82

i just got a reggie hamilton with the P/J setup. it sounds great i guess just super modern and thats not my thing right now. i was hoping for a p bass that could touch the j bass realm. i dont want a swiss army knife just a soild 70's rock bass.

what should i do???

new pickups or ditch the active eq or both?:meh:
  2. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

Try flats. If that doesn't work ditch the preamp.
  3. cnltb

cnltb

What can one ay to a post like that without sounding unkind...
    :eek::eyebrow::scowl::bawl:
  4. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I know nothing about the preamp in your bass, but if it's properly designed, it should have no effect on the sound when the knobs are centered.

EDIT: If you don't like the native sound of the bass, why did you buy it?
  5. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

If the bass flat out doesn't work for you, just flip it. Either to the store you bought it from, or sell it on and try to recover your losses.
  6. ricknote

ricknote Supporting Member

could you install an active / passive mini switch?
    the pickups are likely really good.
    that way you could get that organic sound your looking for
    with the option of the modern thing when you need it.
  7. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Unless the EQ has some sort of built-in "sound", or the OP is overusing it, bypassing it should have very little effect on the "organic" or "modern" sound of the instrument.
  8. travis82

travis82

Thanks for all the replays so fast. I bought it online and it had great reviews. It does has a active/passive toggle. Helps but still not the tone I'm looking for. Feels like zero mids are happening. My 90's mim j bass has more grind. I played a Spector with the p/j steup with emg hz and it sounded amazing. Being a fender guy I hoped this would be the dream bass.
  9. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Some times stuff just doesn't work out. Sell it and move on! Gl
  10. Reggie Hamilton

Reggie Hamilton

Disclosures:
    Endorsers: FMIC, ADesigns Audio, Dunlop, Pearlman Mics
    Um, can I help you in any way?
  11. Alivefor5

Alivefor5

Heh, I love it. Only on Talkbass. Grasshopper pay attention.
  12. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy

Not quite sure which part you don't like other than it being 'super modern.'

I had it for a while and don't remember that being the case--my Carvin SB5000 or Yamaha BBNE2 are far more 'modern' sounding.
  13. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

First, check your pickup heights. If you're getting too much "scoop" with both pickups on full, adjust the pickup heights to favor the P-pickup. Lower the jazz pickup a little and see if that doesn't give you your P-bass mojo.

Second, try different strings. Different basses want different strings. Don't expect one type/brand of string to suffice on all basses. Life just isn't that simple. The good news is that strings can make a huge difference. If you noticed Mr Hamilton's post you'll see he uses/endorses LaBella so that might be a good place to start...hint hint.
  14. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

What strings, amp and cab are you using?
    What is the eq like on your amp?
  15. acubass

acubass

I love the sound if my RH. I would suggest not using the pickups together. I hear some weird phasing and some notes just fizzle. I rarely use the bridge pickup in a band situation. With the neck pickup solo, it sounds like a PBass.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Have you tried turning the J pickup off completely? Have you tried asking Reggie about it? ;)
  17. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy

Reggie, as long as you are here, I thought I heard a regular J/J jazz bass on both Maxwell's Embrya and few tunes from a Patricia Kaas album. You played both of those albums.

These days do you prefer the P/J set up more than the J/J? And what's the J/J jazz bass you typically use in addition to your P/J signature one?
  18. joelb79

joelb79

Well how do you like that.. I so want to buy a Fender Reggie Hamilton now. That's service.
  19. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder

and the kicker is...the OP hasnt taken him up on it!?!?
    :meh:
  20. Reggie Hamilton

Reggie Hamilton

Disclosures:
    Endorsers: FMIC, ADesigns Audio, Dunlop, Pearlman Mics
    Hey LaBassGuy,

The bass for Patricia Kaas and Maxwell is my same '96 Jazz Deluxe V. The same bass is on Whitney's "The Preacher's Wife" soundtrack. Those were all recorded before finishing the RH CS V. One of the early recordings of the CS V is "Anna" from one of Stanley Clarke's recordings. All of my electric V string basses sport Fender Fender Stainless Steel .135tw, .110tw, .085, .065, .045. As for the four bangers, it'll either be stainless, flats or tape wound. I've never liked nickel for myself. I don't like the character of nickel after string ages, gets dirty, etc. I use LaBella on my upright basses and my two ABGs.

I don't really have a preference but my first Fender was a '69 P Bass fretless followed closely by an L series '64 Jazz. I've always been a fan of both the P Bass and the J Bass, while liking the body shape of the J more. Currently, most of my basses are active/passive instruments for the obvious tonal reasons.

As for my JJ Basses, I have my trusty '67, Road Worn and a CS IV Mark Kendrick.