1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Regrets...What's the Best Advice you have?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slapmachine, Jan 14, 2014.

1. slapmachine

slapmachine

So, for the last year or so, I've had immense regrets on having returned my Fender Select Precision bass back to Guitar Center after a couple weeks of owning it.

I was infatuated with the bass, and hands down the best bass moment in my life happened when I cranked my Markbass 102P "stack" in an outdoor gig, running the precision with the LMII head, the Compressore, and XL Chromes on it. I even remember the weather (overcast), the guitarist's clothes (old Shure t-shirt, no shoes, ragged tope cargo shorts), and too many other details about the show.

I ended up giving it back to GC, because I decided it was too much to throw down on an instrument at the time, since I was just going into college. Two years into school I've had serious thoughts of rebuying it, but without a job or anything that would mean a fair depletion of my savings.

UGH, I hate being fiscally responsible and having GAS. I've really ridiculously tame when it comes to gear, and all I own is my little Markbass rig and two basses (one acoustic, one electric), but DAMN!!

:help:
  2. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

Don't worry. Life is long. If it isn't long, you don't have anything to worry about. Either way, it's good, so no reason to regret being responsible now. You will have plenty of time to be irresponsible when you have more money. Then you can be far more irresponsible and still eat and sleep inside. It's better that way, even though it doesn't seem like it now.
  3. frankieC

frankieC Supporting Member

Get over it. You'll have plenty of opportunity in the future.
  4. garp

garp

Change your major to Marketing. Then at least you’ll have a chance of understanding what compelled you to buy that overpriced plank in the first place. :p
  5. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

+1 Right on, great advice!
  6. Lank Thompson

Lank Thompson Supporting Member

SlapMachine - I did something similiar. I had a P-Select that I had been gassing for. Then I ended up being seduced by a Mike Lull. The Lull I was nice, but I realized I'm a Fender guy. I sold the Lull and bought a brand new PSelect. The one I just bought ended up being one of the first 100 that Fender made of the P-Select (#39 of 100 to be exact.......it even has a certificate of authenticity). All of the plastic was still on everything so I got kind of lucky. That said you can find a brand new P-Select for $1,500 or $1,600 which is a steal. Here's mine (I put a black pickguard on it).

Attached Files:

• PS.jpg
      PS.jpg
      File size:
      64.5 KB
      Views:
    • Rig.jpg
      Rig.jpg
      File size:
      108.7 KB
      Views:
  7. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

Chances are that you either have outright plain selective memory or that you wouldn't find it as good as you did back then if you could get your claws on it now. Or both.

If you got the new price back that's good anyway because these cheap instruments eat up a lot of money if you buy new and sell used. So for all you know your financial situation could be even worse and your dream bass isn't.
  8. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

You have the rest of your life to GAS over gear and go into debt - believe me, I know!

Deal with it. Get out of school with as little debt as possible to start your "adult" life.

Like the old saying goes…if I only knew then what I do now…

I'd have almost no debt and really nice gear that I would have bought and paid for years ago.
  9. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it. Supporting Member

Well done! 10/10
  10. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

You made the absolute stone cold right move to return the instrument and get out of the music business, as bands wearing cargo shorts have no place, and little hope for success, in the business of show.

I second the recommendation above that you major in marketing or some such field where being a tool in cargo pants is not an obvious liability.

Hope your guitarist is out of the biz, too. My 2 cents.
  11. mellowinman

mellowinman

Regrets, I've had a few
    But then again, too few to mention
    I did what I had to do , I saw it through without exemption
    I planned each charted course, each careful step along the highway
    And more, much more than this, I did it my way
  12. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Dude! You totally screwed up! You should have kept the bass, dropped out of school, stole the guitar player's cargo shorts, loaded up the civic, and headed to Hollywood!!!

Man, you'd probably be famous by now. I mean, what good is an education, really.

Oh, well. The damage is done. Might as well finish school, and buy another Select later, when you can do it out of one paycheck and still have money left over.

(yeah; I realize you weren't dropping out of school. Just kidding :D)

edit: Oh, yeah. Let the guy keep his shorts. They'd look funny on you anyway.
  13. Bongolation

Bongolation

I don't understand the question.

I will tell you this much for free and I'm not a young guy:

It's just gear. Emotional involvement with it as if it were anything more than that is terrific folly (just look at all the more or less hysterical threads on TB if you doubt it).

There'll always be another deal, another instrument you'll eventually get bored with.

Worry about stuff that matters. This doesn't.
  14. Ironbar

Ironbar

You may hate being fiscally responsible now, but you'll love yourself later on for it!
  15. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

+1.

I finished college in '69, so I'm a long way down that road now. I have a selection of five basses, two electric guitars, two resonator guitars and two flat top acoustics, one of which was custom-made for me by a local luthier.

Back in the day I had a no-name electric guitar that I bought with a Silvertone 1484 amp for $40, and an acoustic Ventura that I paid $35 for. Along the way I learned to do my own set ups, met a lot of interesting and talented people and had a lot of fun.

Save for tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes, go for it! :D
  16. KingRazor

KingRazor

5 years into playing bass and almost 4 into being a TB member and I still only own one SX bass (which actually really like), and I can't even afford another one.

You're not alone. GAS doesn't go away just because you don't have money. :meh:
  17. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Why not sell your two basses and use the proceeds towards picking up that bass? You can also sell college text books, take part in some paid volunteer college experiments, sell crib notes (lol)...just joking.
    Basses come and go, unless you bought a one-of a kind prototype bass, it is likely you'll cross paths again when you're ready.
  18. Solarmist

Solarmist 15 miles from Mt Rainier Supporting Member

The only regrets I have are from purchasing several basses off the Internet without ever actually playing one - I sold off all of them, and lost $$$ in doing so.
  19. awilkie84

awilkie84

$1600!? Geeze. I've never seen one below $2300
  20. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Supporting Member

QFR

Gear is just stuff and all stuff is transitory subject to all the vagaries of life - natural disasters, divorces, thieving bandmates, "bad" decisions.

Stop beating yourself up and walk on young sportsman