rehearsal room amp setup

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lowtom, Apr 5, 2014.

1. lowtom

lowtom

I was wondering if some of you have some ideas, where or on which position to put drums, amps and everything else, that belongs in a rehearsal room. I heard things like, put the amps always opposite of yourself, not behind the drummer and no amp should be exact opposite to another amp. and try to get them in the same height as your ear.

any other ideas experience, not considering the acoustic situation itself in the room, which is different in every room i quess?

every advice or stories of experience is welcome.

thank you

2. sobie18

sobie18

I like to be next to the drummer.

As for guitar amps, they need to be outside, left in the car, etc.

3. tmdazed

tmdazed

[​IMG]

Guitars outer left and right , I am set up left direct beside the drummer , no real reason , just a superstition. Drummer we have set up in the right hand corner, we find this makes for more room out front, congas are set right front of the drummer , ease of step out and play on songs we use them for . Now mind you , I play in 4 different projects so all those amps do not get used at once

4. lowtom

lowtom

Thats probably rule number ONE! ;)
    *writing it down in big letters*

i am curious.
    1. You donĀ“t face the drummer? why is that? rehearsal for live setup/experience?
    2. so everybody stands in front of his/her amp? why not opposite?
    3. is that you in front of the fridge, or just the scene from "ghostbusters"?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tmdazed

tmdazed

1) you do not play a show facing the drummer, all the projects that I jam with here ( my house) are gigging bands , so why face the drummer when you don't play shows like that
    2) No , i stand far left , singers stand center , guitar players left and right, I can pick everyone else (myself included) from floor sound , everyone should know their parts so really you are listening for the beat and register anyway
    3) no that is one of the drummers with his glorious beard grabbing a beer from the rehearsal fridge

7. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High

We almost never "set up" rehearsal rooms as though we were on stage. Most of the time, we are set up in a circle or oval.
    Once in a while, if the room allows, we will "line up", but that's not normal for us.

8. tmdazed

tmdazed

Mine is a permanent setup and I own all the amps minus two there and the drum kit ( I do have a spare but its easier to just keep one set up) we used to rehearse in the round , but like I said , we don't play shows like that , why rehearse like that

9. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

I picked up a nice tip on here a few years ago. If your amp sits on the floor, stick a few books under the front to tilt it facing upwards slightly.

The change in the audio dynamics was stunning and immediate.

10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads. Supporting Member

I always liked having amps facing us. - puts us in the same position as the audience, and we don't have to play as loud.

11. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High

It goes to how seriously you take it. I'm 64 years old now, a former business owner, now retired. I (we) now play for the purpose of having fun. Making extra money never hurts either, but it's not the main occupation of anyone in the band. It's a VERY relaxed ensemble. We're a cover band, and Practicing "in the round" (I like that) is less formal, than rehearsing as we would be set up on stage.

We must have a song list as long as my leg, as most of us have been playing a minimum of 40 years (some more than 50). Adding new numbers is easier now than ever before, with the advent of MP3's and and key changing software.
    When we get together for rehearsals, it's very informal, and very loose. Surprisingly the band sounds good, though.

It's music for music's sake, and music for fun's sake. The sound guy get's the worry of making everything sound good at a gig. Rehearsals are as much just an informal get together, as they are a business meeting. lol

I really see no advantage or disadvantage to either method. It's what best suits the band members.

For example, I almost never stand up when rehearsing, but I never sit down when gigging. When rehearsing I usually sit directly across from the drummer, essentially looking at him. When gigging, I stand to the drummer's right.