1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Rehearsal Space - where to find it

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MOEBASSPLAYER, Dec 2, 2013.

1. MOEBASSPLAYER

MOEBASSPLAYER

I am wondering if anyone has ever tried to find rehearsal space using local companies to rent out some space they have? My band right now is in the market for a rehearsal spot where we can store our equipment and hold practices a few times a month. We are not in a position to pay a lot of money yet on a studio (since we are just starting to play out and build a following), so we are looking for something free to cheap. If anyone has any ideas or have been through this, how have you found your spot?

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

One of my old bands used to rent out an empty office. they let us practice once a week for 3-4 hours at $100 a month. It was alright. They got mad and kicked us out when we mvoed a couch and coffee table in. Oh, and the beer bottles.

When I moved I made sure to rent a house so that I could convert our garage into a rehearsal spot.

3. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

We practice at a Self-Storage. We have a 20x10 room with power in a climate controlled building.

4. MOEBASSPLAYER

MOEBASSPLAYER

Interesting. I have thought about that idea, but didn't know if it would work. I will look into this. Thanks.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

I'm curious. Do they KNOW that you are using the space for taht reason? If not, and they find out, are they likely to ask you to leave?

If it is ok, that's a great idea. I can't see anyone complaining about the noise, as most people are there for just a lit bit, every once in a while.

7. MOEBASSPLAYER

MOEBASSPLAYER

Any one else jam in a storage facility?

8. wardak

wardak

9. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Yes, they are aware. The drummer in my band was the first to ask the management if they'd be willing to have band practice space. Now there are 20-30 units in the property that have bands in them. They are far from perfect. They are corrugated steel, so you have to do your own soundproofing. Usually not a problem until the metal band down the hall plays at the same time, and they didn't bother with proofing.

It doesn't hurt to call around and ask a couple properties if they'd be willing. The worst they can say is no. We pay $270/month for the unit, and share between a few bands (which all have the same drummer), so my share is $36/mo.

10. MOEBASSPLAYER

MOEBASSPLAYER

Thanks for the scoop Frank. I have already contacted a place and am waiting to hear back.

11. GKon

That's great!

12. MOEBASSPLAYER

MOEBASSPLAYER

I contacted the local storage facility and they told me they did not allow bands to rehearse in their facility. What is the name of the place you are at, if you can share.

13. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

Have personally used 3 different Uhaul storage facilities for practice. None of them had any problems with it when I ask... it doesn't seem to be in the rules and when you rent the place, they don't make you sign any non-commercial use agreement.

Currently I have a 10x15 24 hour space (although I only use it after they close for courtesy/convenience reasons). Costs me around $120 a month. I run power from the outlet outside; I have only asked to run power once because the first time they said they didn't care so U-Haul doesn't seem to have a policy about that either.

Long story short, every U-Haul I've tried seems cool with it.

14. duff beer

duff beer

I've never been in a band that doesn't rehearse in someone's basement or garage. And I've been in dozens of bands over the last 30 years. Up here on the Canadian prairies, 99% of homes are built with basements, so most rehearsal spaces usually end up in a basement in one of the band member's homes.

Based on that, paying for a practice space would probably be a deal breaker for me if I was considering joining a band.

15. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Uncle Bob's Self Storage.

16. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

There's an Uncle Bobs in Austin that lets you practice there? Man, I must've called 3 or 4 of those places with no luck...

17. GKon

Sounds great! I have to see if any of the storage facilities here in Greece will do the same.

18. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

S 1st & Wm. Cannon

19. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Not so sure about that. I looked in to hiring a flatbed to move a log cabin kit and $500 a day was the going rate for one around here.

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Look under a few things. Move a few things. You'll find it.

21. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Is it a problem for you and your band to rehearse in the city(Chicago)?