1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Rehearsal Through Headphones

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by LeeNunn, Nov 2, 2013.

1. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

I just joined a classic rock band. We rehearse in a basement bedroom, and the drums cause the overall volume to get too loud. Softer drum volume doesn't appear to be an option. I'm seen some postings about Jamhub, and that's seems to be an effective solution if we don't mind spending $500 (five piece band).

Does anyone have any insights on Jamhub or something like that? I assume one mic for the entire drum set. The guitar player runs a cable from his preamp out so that he can use all his effects? We can adjust the volume for each input so that MP3 recordings of the rehearsal come out better (Zoom H4N)? Over ear headphones work best?

2. walldaja

walldaja

Nothing worse than thumping drums to discourage productive rehearsals. Seems some drummers never figured out you could hit them softer and it would produce less sound. Problem you'd still have would be the ambient drum sound coming through your headphones unless you bought some expensive noise cancelling ones. Best way to quiet the drums would be to get electronic drums so when you lowered their sound in your headset it would really go away. Another option may be another drummer.

3. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

The drummer is very opposed to electronic drums. My concern about the Jamhub is the sound of live drums bleeding through regular headphones and the guitarist's complete reliance on electronics to get his sound. Bass, keyboards, and vocals wouldn't seem to be much of a problem.

4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Hmm. Unless you have ISO booths just forget headphones - there not going to work for your band.

5. Register to disable this ad