1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

REHOUSING Behringer BSY600 thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dazonbass, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Dazonbass

Dazonbass

This is long overdue, but I wish to start this thread to get me motivated to get things underway. I will be posting photos as things go along, so it is a work in progress.

If anyone can contribute I will be happy. :)

To start I am ordering the enclosure. The one that I know the PCB board fits into is the:

Hammond 1550B

It will not fit into a 1590B as far as I know because it is 4mm shorter in width.

If you order this enclosure you need to cut the top corners off the PCB board, so if you do not feel like doing that, you had better order a bigger one.

Here is the link for those enclosures:
    http://www.hammondmfg.com/1550.htm

okay, now I have to get motivated :hyper:

2. DannDubblewe

DannDubblewe Knob Wrangler

You could go 125B if you're feeling sassy, or I'd opt for the 1590BB. The 1590B is...really small.

3. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

ohhh SUB'd! (don't forget me Dann!) hoping to get this done by the man himself but still curious to see how it goes...

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

It makes sense. A pretty good pedal for the price but the plastic box and switch are terrible.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dazonbass

Dazonbass

Thanks, will look into it; however, small is what I want to also try to achieve.

7. Razzmatazz

Razzmatazz

I have a suggestion. With a bigger enclosure, there will be enough room for two switches. One to turn on/off the pedal and the other one could be for a momentary hold or on/off hold if you will. I'm interrested! I have subscribed.

8. Dazonbass

Dazonbass

Great I idea, I have an extra enclosure at home that is a little bigger (not sure of the make but it is the size as a MXR-M80) so can look into that when I get home.

9. Spectrum

Spectrum

I was thinking about this the other day. The guts of this pedal are great but the case and switch are awful. Sub'd.

10. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

I just ordered one the other day, I too am interested in this thread.

11. Dazonbass

Dazonbass

Good to see so much interest. You guys have me motivated now. :)

12. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness...

13. Razzmatazz

Razzmatazz

I've opened it and this how it looks. Also this is where my knowledge stops... Almost everything is trapped on that board. I made a circle where the actual on/off switch is located. So far, I have been playing with pedals and that's about it. Looking forward for your ideas.

14. Dazonbass

Dazonbass

I was planning to replace that with a simple SPST non-latching footswitch. However, I am now considering running a second latching switch parallel with that so that there is a way to hold it without your foot being on it.

I previously took my pedal apart and removed all the sockets for the power and the cables. However, I then found that I needed it for a gig and didn't have time (or motivation) to put it back together. It was just as easy to by a second pedal; I love how cheap these are. So with the first one that is half dismantled I will be trying Razzmatazz's idea of two footswitches. I also removed the jacks because I wanted to make them top mount, so I will do that as well. First thing I have to check is if that board works when I rewire all the sockets. Fingers crossed.

The second pedal I want to keep simple and put it straight into an hammond 1550B with only one footswitch. I found it difficult to remove the sockets due to my soldering iron not heating the solder enough. Therefore I would say that it is better to not remove them and cut the walls of the enclosure similar to how you see things done on a Proton. The disadvantage to this is that it won't be water tight (beer proof).

Will get some pictures up tomorrow showing some details about the 1550B and how I clipped the edges.

15. Chopdog

Chopdog

Sub'd. Thank you for giving it a go!

16. tlaubs

tlaubs Supporting Member

Gonna have to sub on this too

17. TomA1234

TomA1234

I await the results of this, good luck!

18. Explorer

Explorer

To be sure I understand this... if one's soldering iron isn't hot enough to melt solder, the better solution isn't to get a soldering iron which does get hot enough to melt solder?

19. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

So, I am even more interested know that I got my BSY600 last night. Of course the switch is janky right out of the box. It is the best $40 pedal I have ever used. I just wish it had a knob that clicked into position for each mode, it would just feel better for using on stage, knowing indeed which mode the pedal was in before playing to see.

20. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc

Yeah, it does suck that the mode knob isn't detented. The light blinks each time you change a mode, so I just keep track of how many blinks when I'm turning it. I mostly only use two modes (5 and 9), so I always know that they are 4 blinks away from each other.

I love the BSY, I'm buying a second one so that I can have one on each of my two boards. I'm sick of having to move it between the two boards all the time.

21. Dazonbass

Dazonbass

point taken, I will admit it probably is worth having a better soldering iron.

However, I am not a professional nor am I saying this is a rule book; just doing it my way and hoping it helps others.

I am actually happy with all the input so far, please do point out an errors I maybe making.