1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Rehousing, some questions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ryansalmond, Feb 17, 2013.

1. ryansalmond

ryansalmond Supporting Member

So the circuit I'm rehousing turns out to be too big for its new enclosure by millimetres... Like one or two millimetres. I'm wondering if I can cut the edges of the circuit board off? I don't know anything about them but I assume it's only the trace lines that do something, not the blank green space.

This pedal also has some features that would be difficult to rehouse that I would rather do without. Namely the battery compartment, bypass switch (this is an alway on effect for me, literally) and a DI out. Can I just cut those off or will that mess things up?
  2. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

I shaved a few mm off a Qtron+ I rehoused from its gigantic container to one much less gigantic. As long as you don't break any traces it should be fine.

Battery compartment can probably just come out (de-solder and remove). Bypass might be trickier. Pedals with DI usually are buffered. I'm certain there is a way to remove the bypass control, but it may not work how you expect. DI should just be able to de-solder and come out.

Proof of rehouse:

[​IMG]
  3. ryansalmond

ryansalmond Supporting Member

Cool. Thank you. Maybe I'll leave the bypass alone and do the rest.
  4. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

You should know that the board was a beeeyatch to cut. It took a lot more passes with a razor knife than I expected and it was difficult to get a straight cut, even with a straightedge. Once I got a groove it went reasonably smooth. Getting a groove took time.