1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Rehousing, some questions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ryansalmond, Feb 17, 2013.

1. ryansalmond

ryansalmond

So the circuit I'm rehousing turns out to be too big for its new enclosure by millimetres... Like one or two millimetres. I'm wondering if I can cut the edges of the circuit board off? I don't know anything about them but I assume it's only the trace lines that do something, not the blank green space.

This pedal also has some features that would be difficult to rehouse that I would rather do without. Namely the battery compartment, bypass switch (this is an alway on effect for me, literally) and a DI out. Can I just cut those off or will that mess things up?

2. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Media:
    Albums:
    I shaved a few mm off a Qtron+ I rehoused from its gigantic container to one much less gigantic. As long as you don't break any traces it should be fine.

Battery compartment can probably just come out (de-solder and remove). Bypass might be trickier. Pedals with DI usually are buffered. I'm certain there is a way to remove the bypass control, but it may not work how you expect. DI should just be able to de-solder and come out.

Proof of rehouse:

[​IMG]

3. ryansalmond

ryansalmond

Cool. Thank you. Maybe I'll leave the bypass alone and do the rest.

4. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Media:
    Albums:
    You should know that the board was a beeeyatch to cut. It took a lot more passes with a razor knife than I expected and it was difficult to get a straight cut, even with a straightedge. Once I got a groove it went reasonably smooth. Getting a groove took time.

5. Register to disable this ad