1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Reinforcing an Amp's Housing

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by tastybasslines, Jan 4, 2013.

1. tastybasslines

tastybasslines I'll hump your leg Supporting Member

I have a GK MB115 combo amp that I'd like to reinforce so that I can sit on it with confidence. I am 5'11 and about 220 right now, and because the amp is light already, I am nervous about sitting on it. I wouldn't be nervous with some other amps, but the MB casing is light which has a lot to do with the low weight of the amp. I am also a little nervous as the amp is up on the top back of the amp and I don't want to damage that either. I know the casing probably won't just collapse, BUT... How can I reinforce it if I wanted to?

I was thinking of measured flat steel rods with connecting brackets on the inside of the amp maybe about the first 1/3 back depth wise on the amp, as that is where most of the weight will be focused.

Any ideas? I know some people are going to tell me to not sit on it at all, and bring an extra seat with me, but, I may be playing a regular outdoor gig soon, and I don't want to carry an extra stool, as it will be a long walk from my car already. And usually sitting on my amp is comfortable enough for me.
  2. Musicman20

Musicman20

I would make zero mods and find something else to sit on, seriously. I'm not trying to be harsh about it, but the cost and effort are not worth it. Plus, won't you be blocking some of the sound from the speaker?!
  3. jmclearnon

jmclearnon

What happens if you ever want to sell it........

And the acoustics of the cab have been altered.
  4. rimbaud

rimbaud

Seal of approvment since a thousand years:
    [​IMG]

That's the better reinforcment amp I've ever used in my own life, and I am 90 kg....
  5. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I would find something else to sit on.
  6. alembicguy

alembicguy Lone Wolf Miner Supporting Member

Ditto