Releasing original material...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by pipFunk, Apr 12, 2014.

Releasing originals and the internet

1. Release the album after a year

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  2. Release an EP every quarter

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. Release a song a month

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. A combination of these

18 vote(s)
    54.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. pipFunk

pipFunk

So... here's the thing: hypothetically, if it takes your band a month to write and polish a song; do you take a year out to write 12 songs and release an album, release 3 songs every quarter as an EP or, release a song a month as a single?

I'm thinking that, particularly with the internet, music moves so fast that if you're not refreshing your presence pretty much constantly you'll quickly become last week's news.

If I can make it work I'll post this with a poll, otherwise any thoughts?

2. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

A month to write a song? Good one.

That said, I go with EP. Then again, our songs would each be an EP on their own...

3. pipFunk

pipFunk

Yeah, I guess... But, I'm trying not to overcomplicate things for the poll... like I said "hypothetically".

What I'm canvassing here is peoples' opinions on whether, in this internet age, it's better to release new material frequently to keep your profile as high as possible, or whether that just doesn't matter.

For what it's worth, my answer is to release 2 - 3 EPs during the year, with maybe your best 6 songs on - like they used to do with an A side, B side single, and then release an album at the end of the year, incorporating those 6 songs, plus another 6 (accepting that 12 is probably "normal" for an LP).

I guess there are people who can write all the parts of a song, practice it and get it up to standard to record, record, mix, press, do the artwork, sleeve notes and promotion materials and take it to release in a couple of days, I just don't know any. The few recording artists I do know reject way more songs for the final album cut than actually make it, so by the time they find 12 that they feel are good enough, it's been a while... I guess the rejects will be re-mixed by whatever producer is the flavour of the day and released in a box set when they're dead!

4. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

Last original, recording situation I was involved in went from 1999 to 2006. CDs came out in '99, '01 & '05 with one final EP ( 4 songs) released in spring of '06.

Never felt it was something we could plan out since we didn't crank stuff out like product. We just KNEW when it was time.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MTBK

MTBK

Playing live keeps you fresh on peoples minds. Yes attention spans are short and many bands, and other forms of media, are going to be competing for it. But playing live is going to keep bringing new people into your fandom.

Then when it comes time to release an album you'll likely recapture the attention of the majority of your fans again. If a fan really likes your music then they're going to keep coming back anyways. For as long as you are active.

You also aren't just limited to these things. You can release live videos or other forms of small merchandise to grab peoples attention again. Do it strategically, like before a show or something.

Ideally you always want some of your music on a physical format to sell at shows. People are very apt to buy your album/ep immediately after your show knocks their socks off. Even if it's just as a keepsake. So an EP early on is alright if it's all you got. But I wouldn't keep putting them out. Save the rest for an album.

7. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I suppose it depends on your goals. Out of curiosity, are giving away or selling songs?

8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

You have to ask yourself a few things:

- what would your band accomplish by releasing an album?
    - do you believe it will bring your band notoriety or open up gigging opportunities?
    - do you have enough fans to even warrant making an album?
    - do you have enough good songs to fill up an album?

Furthermore, the recording process can be a long and tedious one. If you're new to the whole process then it will be very hard on you guys. Good recordings don't happen overnight, and even well rehearsed bands can spend 10s of hours on one song. If you're paying by the hour then this will kill the album before you even really start on it.

In my mind, you hit the nail on the head that people need constant reminders that your band is around and is doing things. I believe releasing a 2-3 track EP every quarter is the way to go. For one, you guys can focus on making those 2-3 songs really good, and you can devote all your recording time to those few to make them sound amazing. In addition, releasing new material every few months will keep you in everyone's mind on a more regular basis. Lastly, it gives you the chance to save money for those recordings because recordings, typically, aren't cheap ;)

9. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah VERY enthusiastic walks... Supporting Member

Media:
    Maybe release an EP to wet people's appetite and then release the full album after a year? Lets them know you're present, but keeps them interested when the album comes out. Also, baiting them to shows by advertising new songs being played there first is a good strategy :bassist:

10. generation zero

generation zero Supporting Member

As a fan, I find that the following almost always rings true:

If they have a full length album, I buy it without question, and if it doesn't sound like it was recorded in a bathroom on a portable cassette deck, I end up listening to it for weeks on end in my truck as I am driving. Once I take it out, it goes in my CD stack and will quite often find itself back in rotation later on.

If they have an EP or EPs, I will generally hesitate, but I almost never buy more than one of them. I listen to that one disc of 2 or 3 songs for MAYBE a day, and then it comes out of the CD player and rarely ever makes it back in. Two or three songs on a disc is not enough to keep me listening to the same disc very long, as I get tired of the same 2 or 3 songs pretty quickly, no matter how good they are.

If they have only MP3s for download available, I often pass entirely. On the rare occasion when there is a free download card, I may or may not download the song later on, listen to it once on my computer speakers at work, and then forget about the band shortly thereafter.

If and when I ever get a new vehicle where I can hook an iPod into my car stereo, I may reconsider the MP3 thing, but I find it useless currently for anything other than a background music shuffle while I am working. Sure, I can burn a playlist to a disc and put that in my car, but compiling a band's best disc full of songs and burning them to a CD is the band's job, not the fan's... Free single giveaways are cool and all, but IMHO a serious band should still look at releasing albums, not solely EPs or digital single releases. EPs are cool in between records, for instance if you want to put out a live and/or acoustic EP of 5 songs... But very few if any professional bands (none that I know of) follow the "EP every quarter" or "digital only" business models, and probably for a reason.

11. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Media:
    I agree with the above poster that album-length programs trump EPs. I've self published three albums and a number of singles and eps on different formats, and college radio is invariably more responsive to the full-length efforts. Presumably these stand out a wee bit more because such outlets are inundated with single and ep submissions.

I also agree with a post above which suggested you keep your powder dry for an album. Manufacturing and postage are expensive, and you might want to consolidate your expenditures. In the meantime, how about dropping "internet singles" to keep your band's profile active?

12. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Gold Supporting Member

It took one of my bands 7 years to release our recent CD (the one listed in my sig... check it out! ;);) )

It did not take us that long to write, but it did take us that long to refocus our efforts between family, 9-5's etc. Our previous 4 cd's were about 3 years apart. It almost always boils down to money and scheduling than song writing.

We are usually working on about 5 or 6 songs a month, while keeping the old stuff "in our hands". We have about 50 originals and 10-20 random covers we keep in the bag for spontaneity at gigs

In this day and age, you could probably get away with releasing a song a month, but I feel like it would be more economical - both time and money-wise - to do it as a collection. That way, you are spending the time promoting 3- or more possible hits in one fell swoop, rather than throwing individual darts out there and having to "re-load" every month

13. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    IMHO,..single..
    produce as many (and as smart) as you like/can, but release one single/song at a time..one monthly? very good.. but even three month is already fast.
    gig & promo as many (and as smart) as you can

Jay Q likes this.
  14. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Gold Supporting Member

to add to my post above, I pretty much adhere to this same mind set

Of the 5000+ albums/Cd; I own, I think only 5-10 are EP's...

15. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

write a bunch of songs, work on them, weed out the ones that are garbage, see what you have left, record it. it doesnt matter how many songs that is or how long that takes, play out in the mean time.

16. marko138

marko138

How many songs did we jam, sometimes for weeks, that we ended up scrapping. And not all of them were junk. Many, sure. But I can think of a couple, or at least a lot of riffs we shoulda kept.

17. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

we probably kept 1 out of every 5, and that's probably being generous.

18. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Media:
    Assuming some of you guys drop "internet singles" -- how do you hype them? "Coming Monday" sort of thing? Or simply an 'AVAILABLE NOW"? Seems like there is little benefit to time-dating things on the web, seeing as how viewers "find it when they find it." Any thoughts on this subject?

19. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

we made teaser videos using funny studio footage while you could hear snippets of the song.

20. marko138

marko138

Still one of my favorite vids.

DwaynieAD likes this.
  21. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

for example:

vishuddha likes this.