1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Relief Concert Bassists

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Octavio, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Octavio

Octavio

I could have sworn I read that Darryl Jones was not touring with the Stones but there he was onstage last night. I noticed that Pino was playing his black Jaguar, and Roger Waters wasn't playing his signature model either. The telecast on Palladia ended before Sir Paul took the stage. How was he, did anybody see?

2. mournblade

mournblade

Amazing! He played his Hofner for one song, mostly guitar and piano for the night. His bass player was playing a gold top Jack Cassidy style bass.

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I love the night life, I got to boogie....
    Pino was barely even shown. Brutal.

4. baba

baba

No doubt. Fortunately Willie got lots of camera time since they were only shooting a power trio.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

Willie and Steve Jordan sounded great (even if he didn't play his P)

7. Buskman

Buskman

Let's not forget Garry Tallent... Both he & his short scale, flatwound strung Spector sounded great!

And did anybody notice G.E. Smith playing bass behind Waters?

The bassist backing up Billy Joel (local Long Island player, I hear) did a good job as well.

+1 on not enough camera time for Pino, and a HUGE +1 for Willie Weeks' performance - he was tearin' it up! That pre CBS (?) Jazz sounded awesome.

8. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

Who was the bass player backing up Billy Joel? He switched basses for nearly every song. One of them was a CAR P bass with a matching headstock.

9. spendidfender

spendidfender

There were a lot of great bass payers there, but I thought Pino and Willie Weeks were incredible!

10. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

GE Smith is the band leader for Rogers latest "Wall" tour, he alternates between Guitar and Bass dpending on the song, that show was AMAZING! While last nites set was good, the Wall show was much better performance.

11. Octavio

Octavio

Yes, I noticed G.E. Smith on the Tele bass but couldn't hear him too well. Maybe I need a new TV.

12. BassSurfer

BassSurfer Supporting Member

Krist Novoselic was my favorite of the night!

13. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Indeed, but he certainly was heard! That Jag in his hands sounded pretty awesome.

But my favorite of the night was Willie Weeks during Claptons set. It was like funky Cream. Wish they had played and stretched out more.

/rick

14. GM60466

GM60466

Pino's sound was great!

15. LowEndGroover

LowEndGroover Gold Supporting Member

Billy's bass player is Greg Smith. Great pocket player who throws in really tasty fills. Played with a ton of people like Alice Cooper, Dokken, Rainbow, Ted Nugent and also was in Billy Joel's broadway show "Movin' Out".

Full disclosure: only reason why I know so much about him is because I was good friends w/his sister.

16. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member

Hmm. I watched it on Palladia and it went all the way to the close. Maybe your local provider had had enough. Paul used a hand-painted LP for a song (couldn't pick out what all the designs were), an Epiphone acoustic (one from his stable I guess) tuned to do Blackbird, another LP (I think it was his very scarce lefty sunburst LP from the '50s), a Martin acoustic, and some crazy little box-shaped, four-string thing for slide when he played with the Nirvana guys.

I thought everyone performed well, although I walked away to do important things while Kanye was on. I thought The Who's set was terrific. I assume it was Zach Starkey on drums -- fabulous!

17. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

We can hang.

18. IPA

IPA

Pinos bass was cool, of course they showed him for about 1/5th of a second, opting instead to show gross old Roger Daltry's weird hair and naked chest. Couldn't hear Pino that great either, even through my full surround system.

19. Buskman

Buskman

ROTFL - well played, sir! :D

Yeah, Kanye was not good at all... That was 15-20 minutes (?) I'll never get back.

I agree that there was a definite need to have a Hip Hop artist on the bill, but he was the WRONG choice. His song choices (talking about suicide & toasting scumbags & d**chebags - really?!? At a benefit?!? Seriously?) and his overall demeanor were just out of place & uncalled for.

IMO, Jay Z would have been the logical choice but oh well...

Back on topic, there was plenty of good bassists & tasty playing to keep me happy... And I'm GASsing for Willie Weeks' Jazz! :)

20. Baird6869

Disclosures:
    He is an annoying clown.

Alicia Keys was actually incredible and I have never been a fan.

21. Baird6869

Disclosures:
    Hey, what the hell was with the Keith Moon love in?

I was surprised to see that at a benefit