Remember Peter Farndon from the Pretenders?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by shrimpflea, Dec 20, 2013.

1. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

GregC and hover like this.
  2. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

I loved the Pretenders. Alas.
  3. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

We do Middle Of The Road and Mystery Achievement in our band. MA is a very fun tune to play. We used to do Cuban Slide but our singer cannot really handle it. Shame, 'cause it is a terrific tune.
    I had read that Chrissy did not think he was all the great of a bassist but I sure like the basslines from most of the Pretender tunes. Maybe because I am not that great of a bassist either! Ha!
  4. GK Growl

GK Growl

Yes, never forgot Pete Farndon or the Pretenders!! Great tone and style for their music. Very tragic that him and James Honeyman Scott both died around the same time. I'm gonna have to dig up some old Pretenders now!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. timber22

timber22 Supporting Member

I like Pete Farndon's bass lines. I play Mystery Achievement in one of my bands now and used to play Middle of The Road. I think he was very good, although I saw a video that I think was recorded not long before he died that wasn't very good. He looked smacked-out. A real shame.
  7. bassteban

bassteban

Tragic, indeed. Watch the video to Brass in pocket, realizing he was(rumored to be)doing her, and would soon be dead, and it hurts. They weren't OT the same w/o him- same goes for Honeyman-Scott.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The story I heard was Pete was so into the junk that Honeyman-Scott, also into the junk but a little better at holding it together, demanded that one of them go, and Chrissie chose Pete to go.

I liked them both, but honestly, I don't think the Pretenders missed a beat. Billy Bremner and Tony Butler came in to do guitar and bass on "Back On The Chain Gang,", and they're brilliant. And then Robbie McIntosh and Malcolm Foster did the next album, and they were also brilliant. And IMHO it wasn't until Martin Chambers got the boot that they started to suck ;)
  9. Jamo2000

Jamo2000

He was a great bassist, the records testify. Sad, if cautionary tale. I wonder what happened to his basses?
  10. hover

hover

Have "talk of the town" in rotation in my covers set. Great song, great bassline from a great player.

Always a blast, those Pretenders tunes.
  11. Spirit of Ox

Spirit of Ox

Probably one of the best videos ever created.
  12. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

I love that original lineup, really solid. While the folks who played in the band later were certainly no slouches, the frequent lineup changes were a bummer. I had tickets to see the original four in '82 before Pete got fired, but the show was cancelled.:atoz:
  13. Hues

Hues

Mystery Achievement is one of my all-time favorite simpler lines to play.

I've always thought The Pretenders name should have ended when Peter and James died....Chrissie was famous enough by that time to go solo and keep the drummer with her.