1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Remember selling things before Craigslist?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by othefool, Jan 8, 2014.

1. othefool

othefool Supporting Member

I was just looking over my profile and editing my previously owned gear. Much of it I can't remember what happened to. Traded for GAS, apparently. But it did bring to mind the craziness of selling gear before Craigslist (and TB) came to town.

I remember that if I wanted to place an ad in the local alternative weekly (or the newspaper), it would cost a ridiculous amount, like $40 for two weeks (and if it didn't sell, another $20 or so every two weeks to continue it).

This really cut into the profits of a 20-something selling bass gear in the $200 range.

Another option was cosigning it at a music store. They took a third! You get four bones for your $600 bass.

Trading it in was (and still is) even worse, 50%? Not that this ever stopped me.

You could also place "for sale" ads on bulletin boards. I don't remember having any success from doing this.

So, I guess my point is: while I am sorry that craigslist helped kill the newspaper business, now is an amazing time to buy, sell and trade bass gear.

GAS, the cause and the solution to all of life's problems. Also, beer.
  2. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Back in the mid-to-late 70s, I actually made a decent living off the want ads, daily & Sunday major metro newspaper. Those want ad sections (that's right, multiple sections!) were bigger on Sunday than a whole newspaper is today! Of course, I could live a lot leaner in my 20s than I can now.

Sometimes I'd buy a whole PA system just to get a component or 2. The remainder got resold piecemeal for a nice profit, or maybe wrapped up with some other surplus components into a new system for a quick cash inflow.

Sometimes I'd see an ad with somebody wanting to sell something, then another ad just a few inches down with somebody else wanting to buy the same thing! I could make $50 for a trip across town, to buy something & immediately resell it to somebody else.

$50 was big money to a 20-something guy in the 70s! I don't know how many times I was sitting with no cash a day or so before rent was due, when all of a sudden a deal popped up & saved my butt! I couldn't live like that now. I also learned a heck of a lot about economics & developed my "Money is like water" economic theory.
  3. klejst

klejst

Used to either sell on my parents garage sale, sell to friends or people friends knew or sold to the music stores for money or credit...that was really all I could remember doing before the online market place/classifieds took off on the Internet.
  4. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

Ive always been an ebay guy myself. I might give TB a shot in the near future though. I was never able to sell anything on craigs lists. Anytime I posted an add all i got was people trying to pull western union scams