Remember when you could smoke almost anywhere?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Dec 29, 2013.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Media:
    In my travels recently, I noticed there is a lot less cigarette smoking on the street today than when I was a youngster 20 plus years ago. It slowly seems like cigarette smoking has become a habit of the past. Has anyone else noticed this as well? I remember when even funeral parlors had smoking rooms for the attending grievers. Today, smoking indoors is nearly taboo everywhere.

2. Batmensch

Batmensch

I would think that a good thing.

3. Milk

Milk

Its always baffling when you watch old movies and someone is smoking on a plane or something.

4. Linnin

Linnin

I remember the days very nearly unfettered personal freedom. Could smoke almost anywhere except dangerously flammable areas like gas stations; or in church or a courtroom. Otherwise just light up and enjoy. :D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I don't even smoke, but I can't help but chuckle whenever a businessman lights up a cigar when he's at the office in an old movie. In some ways, I wish we could still do that, but then I remember how much I dislike the smell of cigarettes and I get over it really quickly :p

7. Batman!

Batman!

My mind was blown when my roommate flew back to India on Aeroflot (Russian airline) back around 2005 and they allowed smoking on the plane. I think that policy has since changed.

8. thewildest

thewildest Supporting Member

In 25 years (or less) they will also look back at us and see how primitive we all looked driving the kind of ecologically disastrous cars, trucks and planes we so proudly use today.
    Gonna love the day a kid would ask 'what's Texaco?'

9. Bocete

Bocete My E string is 36 1/4" long Supporting Member

I heard on QI that airline companies had to consistently and rapidly filter air during flights because of smokers. All smoke was removed instantly and the quality of air was amazing. As soon as the smoke was banned, they stopped filtering the air to save money and the quality of air degraded to below what would be acceptable on the ground. Today, sicknesses acquired on flights frequently have something to do with poor air quality.

I couldn't find a credible source for this though. I feel that, say, 12 hours of bad air shouldn't degrade your health significantly. At best (or worst?) it can exacerbate an existing condition.

10. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

I remember smoking on an airplane. They had teeny little ashtrays in the armrests. Now they don't even put ashtrays in cars.......

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

+1

...or when you see footage from old Congressional or committee hearings and they're smoking.

12. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

I love old movies. Many scenes where people are smoking and grinding their butts out on the floor in HOSPITALS! Imagine.

Yep smoking is increasingly frowned upon by the majority these days. I'm glad I quit. For once, peer pressure is a good thing.

13. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

Ashtrays are options in cars now! Cool.

14. DannyBob

DannyBob

Good! The fact smoking is becoming less popular in public places is bound to save a great number of lives from not only second hand smoke, but also it will not encourage as many young people like me to smoke

15. D_Bag

D_Bag

Go to Mexico. You can smoke in grocery stores down there still and it's the only place I could still find lucky strikes.

16. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

I remember… and don't miss it, one bit.
    And I hope I don't end up with health complications later in life from it.
    (250+ shows a year for probably 15 years in smoke filled clubs).
    I've never smoked cigarettes… glad I finally have rights to clean air.
    I think you see less smoking because people are now aware of the deadly chemicals that add to the negative effects and addictive qualities of main stream tobacco products.
    I'm all for smoking if people want, but at least be smart enough to choose tobacco products without the deadly additives…
    ok, i'll get off my soap box now...

17. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I remember being a kid, and everybody smoking in the waiting room of the doctor's office.

Big metal ashtrays with sand in them.

I really don't miss that.

18. bolophonic

bolophonic

As soon as I read the title of the thread, I wondered how long it would take for someone to start talking about this in terms of their loss of "personal freedoms."

19. tplyons

tplyons

I remember visiting family friends and everything they owned smelled like cigarette smoke. I'm glad that's less and less common nowadays.

20. avvie

avvie

I grew up in North Carolina around RJ reynolds and the American Tobacco Co. All my peers worked in tobacco fields for summer jobs. Smoking was so ingrained in the culture that I assumed it was completely normal. Then I'd travel outside the state and get treated like a second class citizen and couldn't understand why.
    After 27 years of smoking I finally got help and quit...been almost 7 years now. I don't encounter smokers often, but when I do I get repulsed, not by the habit but by the littering and money spent. A pack is almost $10 here, and nearly every smoker I know has major financial trouble of one sort or another...no car, can't make rent, unemployed, whatever. I can't help but think that there's a connection because i remember that every time I was having a financial crisis i was still able to obtain cigarettes and alcohol with no problem.

21. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Smoking is not allowed in public places in the county where I live (that includes bars, etc).

Played a small club gig (out of town) w/ my acoustic trio last night. When we showed up to load in, there we only 10-12 people there at that point, and EVERY one of them was smoking (except the 3 of us). It continued that way all night as more folks showed up....easily 3 of every 4 were lighting up. Pretty sure I smoked at least a couple packs last night by default...at least they could have been smoking something better... :bag: