Remember when you decided to get serious?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by zeppfan90, Dec 5, 2013.

1. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

Not that I've never taken my playing serious, just not as serious as I am now. It feels good. The point where everything else sort of just becomes a distraction. You stop sitting around smoking weed ALL day with jam buddies talking and dreaming about being the best musician you can be and start actually doing it while the other guys are still doing the same thing. It sort of hits you like a slap in the face and someone yelling "DUH!" lol. Can any of you remember a time when you decided to truly get serious and how it felt?

2. Milk

Milk

Yes.

That was like three months ago.

How it felt? "What the **** have i been doing all these years?" (mind you i never smoked weed...though you could replace video games for weed for me and it would be essentially the same. Really the only time i wa ever that serious about music before was when i learned to play, I guess i was very serious about it then. But since then? Compared to right now. No.)

3. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    "Remember when you decided to get serious?"
    Pretty sure that never happened.

4. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

yes.
    strangely, it coincided with seeing the movies Fight Club and Fugazi Instrument in succession...it must have been about 2000 or 2001. I always loved Fugazi and saw them live plenty of times, but somehow seeing this sort of brief history of them doing what they wanted and hearing Joe Lally talk about being so happy to finally find someone serious and serious about the music (talking about Ian McKay) it just made my brain 'click' and I realized I was just wasting my time if I wasn't taking the music and myself seriously as a player. I'm not sure what Fight Club had to do with it but somehow it also charged me up about it...maybe it was about doing something unconventional but with extreme focus and discipline (though my discipline is anything but extreme).

and then more recently I had a resurgence of this feeling, but with an even deeper commitment to the music side (as opposed to the other stuff like promotion et al) when I joined my current band. Maybe have a listen? icedink.bandcamp.com

cheers!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

+1. I have a full time career, a wife, and many other interests to pursue. Music is fun, but it's on a time-available basis.

If I ever get more serious, it will be a few years from now in retirement when I have more time available. But I've never fantasized about being a "big rock star," and I'm happy with how life has worked out.

7. Roaddog77

Roaddog77

Yeah I'd noodled on guitar and bass for about 7 years. Couldn't play much, just main lines to songs and some really basic songs on guitar. I had this beater bass with a high action and a bit of twist in the neck. Never could get it set up right and it would frustrate me. Three years ago I finally decided to get something decent to play and bought a Schecter online. Before it arrived I got a text from a friend saying she had bad news and asking me to call her. I give her a call and she tells me my best friend growing up committed suicide. He was the third really close person I'd lost in a little less than two years. I decided I was done fooling around on bass. Played my first gig ever a little over a year later and I have been at it ever since.

8. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Supporting Member

I've always had a back up plan, so even when I had $0.39 to my name I wasn't worried. Flash forward a few years, houses, marriage, kid, bands, "lots of toys"...I still don't think I ever got serious. I just always had a plan B and it wasn't a rich uncle, just a way out and up. I also never assumed that music would be my way anywhere, but rather something to enjoy and if it happened, great.

When times are good prepare for the bad, when it is bad, change the course. I thank my parents for teaching me that life always changes and that you need to be prepared...not necessarily doomsday prepped, but prepared.

9. jeffbonny

jeffbonny Gold Supporting Member

I've never not taken it seriously even when music stopped being my primary source financial income. Every time I pick up the bass I try to play like it's the last time I'll get to.

10. quiltkitty

quiltkitty Supporting Member

Yes, about a year ago. I had a tiny mid-life crisis and bemoaned the fate of my "youthful dreams" for about a week to my husband. Then, I dug out my bass and started practicing again. It all came back to me and then some. Sometimes I will pull out something that was "too hard" before and rip through it. I love that I can really PLAY now, in a natural, fluid kind of way. It's a true delight. I landed a spot in a wonderful band, and even my 12yo thinks I am pretty cool! :)