remind me again.. amp vs speaker watts

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by tuBass, Mar 12, 2014.

1. tuBass

tuBass

It's been a long time since I had to worry about amp watts...

My band is picking up some small 10" monitors because the PV12's we have sound like garbage. No highs, all mud. We want something small and light, because we're old and lazy.

If the power amp we are using drives 250W at 4ohms and 125 at 8 ohms, and the speakers we are using are 8 ohm, but 150w max peak, does that mean we are going to blow our speakers even if we don't push them that much?

Should I always make sure I have at least two connected in series so it's delivering no more than 125 to each speaker? If I only hook up one, it's hitting it with 250, correct?

These will be vocal monitors and a little guitar... no bass is going through them at all

2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Two on a channel in parallel should be about right. 4ohm total, 125w each. One would hope you don't need to give them death just to hear vocals.

3. tuBass

tuBass

but I should never hook up a single speaker, correct? What if the volume of the amp was on 50%? make a difference?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Any time you can run less volume into a cab than it can take, it's a good thing.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Single speaker is fine. The only thing you can't hook up is any more than two in parallel on one channel. Then use the volume control and eq.

7. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

OP,
    Unless you have a filter in place, your monitors will produce stage wash.
    If your console has a 75 Hz Low Cut filter, use it for all mics.

A Rolls Headphone Tap will let you attach a set of headphones to your monitor speaker line.
    This does not fiddle with impedance, and lets you hear exactly what the monitor gets.
    It is surprising to hear how much stage wash junk goes through your monitors.

Including bass.

8. tuBass

tuBass

actually it's 100hz, but I do use it on every channel except bass and bass drum