1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

REMINDER...Peavey IPR1600 is Crap

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by 4-stringB, Feb 19, 2013.

1. 4-stringB

4-stringB

I know there is a thread or two on the Godawful rattling PV IPR1600 DSPs, but I just wanted to remind people about how bad they are. Peavey used to be a great manufacturer. Maybe some folks can run down to the store and grab the latest and greatest, but I had to scrimp and save for a long time to get what I thought was MY Holy Grail of amplifiers. Hartley, you rich old Bas@#$d, thanks for nothing.
  2. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

OK; I'll play
    Specifically, what was your bad experience?
  3. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Two things I'd like to point out:
    1. If it bothers you that much, it's simple to eliminate the rattle by putting weather stripping or something similar where the panels meet.
    2. The amp was designed to sit in a PA rack, not atop a vibrating speaker cabinet.
  4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

There are many folk on this forum who are successfully gigging with an IPR. Sure I've heard they may rattle a bit but that's a problem that's easily remedied. If it's such a problem, isolate the amp from the cabinet with a block of foam or place it on the floor.
  5. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Although I don't use one for bass, I do use an IPR 1600 ( no dsp ) for small PA for prerecorded music, and have heard no rattles at all. :eyebrow:
  6. muddywaters

muddywaters

Have been using for 6 months or so, cheap power, will rattle if you put on top of cab. I could fix that but have avoided stacking for now. I run either 2 2x10 4 ohm cabs or bi amp an old 1820. New speakers to handle, love it. Has never crapped out.
  7. 4-stringB

4-stringB

Right up front guys, I USED to (for the last 35 years) tell everyone how great Peavey was, but I can't any more. For the unfamilar; the IPR 1600 has so many rattles that I can't count, much less address them all. I've had PV amps on the bass cabs, the PA rack, on the table, fall off the table, every situation you could imagine- with no problem whatsoever. I don't think that I, or anyone for that matter, should have to do anything to a brand new amp. Specifically, the keyhole tabs where the main board is mounted. I think there are eight of them. They all rattle. The sub boards for the front panel displays. They rattle. The fan shroud rattles. The fan rattles. The rear connection panels rattle. Even where the cover meets the main housing rattles. Would it really cost way too much to use simple screws and nuts to make a quality product? In answer to the folks kind enough to respond, I'll never put my amp on the floor, it's too subject to damage there. Again I shouldn't have to do anything to a new amp...
  8. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

I have a IPR3000 & I dont use it much, its ALWAYS been solid
    BUT
    I dunno, I feel like its fragile even though I have no proof or experience with it being that way.
  9. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Sounds a lot like someone has a flawed cab with resonant panels.
  10. seamonkey

seamonkey

Other than rattles it's OK?
    It's got like a 5 year warranty - what does Peavey say?
    Rattles aren't covered?
  11. IPYF

IPYF

Don't be a grumpy fellow. Take it back if it's getting you down. That will do you a great deal more good than bellyaching ever could.
  12. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

This is a valid concern by the OP.

I know more than a few musicians that have had this problem with the IPR1600. It s easily fixed by the owner, but who wants to open and secure components in a new amp?:meh:

I bought a Crest (owned by Peavey) and it has been perfect.

13. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

+1 That.

I have used a 1600 bridged in my rig. Pounded on it with my can. Never noticed the amp rattling.
  14. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

it's the blue light that i hated. and the ridiculous internal layout. and the flimsy chassis. and it had intermittent ground problems. when i returned it, i implored the vendor to please not resell this specific unit!:ninja:
  15. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Pretty much agreed.

I can understand the frustration. Peavey has a reputation of being bulletproof, and now this. Nobody should ever, never ever, have to "fix" anything on a new product.

Sure it wasn't dropped in shipping or something? I'd just return it. Maybe give them a second chance with another unit if you're inclined to. If the second one was junk too, I'd return it for full refund and go to another brand.

Wouldn't hurt to put a thread on here either saying "I've had 2 of these now and they're both rattletraps. Don't let the low price suck you in, they're not worth it".

I think people's issue is not so much what you said but how you said it. It's an amp, it should be solid enough to be used troublefree in any situation an amp might find itself in. If the thing isn't even held together
    with screws/threads, I would agree it's pretty much crap. Just may've
    ysaid it in a little nicer way, though I can umderstand the frustratiin.
  16. datsaxguy

datsaxguy Supporting Member

Use mine in a rack, never any issue.
  17. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Actually, I had a Peavey 8.5c power amp that got a rattle, it was pretty old though, opened it up and it looked like it had sucked one of those thick furred grey cats into it. some stick on foam gasket stuff sorted it.
  18. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Whah, whah, whine, whine. With that said, I will now agree with you 100%, although my fan never rattled so maybe 90%. Between the folded aluminum chassis and the rattly key-hole board stand-offs, when I opened mine up the first words out of my mouth were "this is crap". The IPRs are built to a price and it shows. After rattle-proofing mine, it's performed just fine since I bought it. It's cheap, it works, it's Peavey.
  19. RadioactiveGuy4

RadioactiveGuy4

I just got one the other day and used it at practice on top of my 410 cab and i had no rattles of any kind just great sound and power. The chassis does seem a kinda cheap but i plan on putting mine in a rack bag.
  20. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

A 1600W amp for $260?????? You really didn't expect perfection, now did you?

1) Take it back.
    2) Fix the rattles.
    3) Isolate the amp.
    4) Either way, calm down.

You bought the Yugo of amps. It won't be a Lincoln.