1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Reminder to Count Your Gig Cash

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Leadfoot, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot

You all probably already do this anyway but: I play in your typical Classic Rock band and we play out 2-3 times a month. On Friday we had a gig at a local upscale bar. It was our second time there, and is a cool place to play. At the end of the night the manager gave the cash to our drummer who immediately pocketed it. After we were thru loading our gear, he paid us our share.

Yesterday morning the drummer called me and said he mixed the gig cash in with his own money and thought we were overpaid. He could only estimate that he had $50-$100 too much money.

I called the manager right away. He said he accidentally mixed in some money from a cash register with our gig pay (which included a $50 bonus) and ended up $30 short. I delivered the extra cash to him. He appreciated the fact that we caught the error.

Cool thing is, he did ask to book us once a month for the near future.
  2. Bassman Spiff

Bassman Spiff

Good for you guys!

We often hear stories about managers trying to stiff bands. By taking the high road and reaching out to the manager, he knows that you guys are also looking out for his best interests.

I am also certain this didn't hurt when it came time to book you guys for those future gigs!
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Hmmm....

I am one of the most honest people I know, for real, yet this story makes me feel like this:

:eyebrow: :rollno: :scowl: :confused: :eek: :eyebrow: :rolleyes:

:)
  4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yes, always count the payroll!!!

Sometimes being paid by check has it’s benefits - especially bookkeeping/taxes, payment disputes, less chance of being robbed, etc.

Anyway, good for you for doing the right thing - honesty is always the best policy.
  5. MegaSwing

MegaSwing The Artist Formerly Known As Edward G. Gold Supporting Member

Always check. Period.

A coupla months ago, I played at a place that's part of a regional chain of bars/roadhouses. As a result, each player gets a business check made out to him by the manager—1099, the whole bit. As we're starting on the way home, the drummer, who is behind me on the road, starts flashing his lights like crazy. I pull over, hoping he's not in some kind of trouble.

This is the trouble: He has my check; I have his.

Always check, before you walk away, regardless of how you are being paid.
  6. troy mcclure

troy mcclure

I have told 2 bars this year they overpaid us and they appreciate it.
  7. bluewine

bluewine

We have have had situations where and owner told the bar manager the wrong fee. It was a matter of 50 dollars. We went back the next day to collect the difference. No problem really.

But yes , always count your cash. Unless it's going into a band fund, then it's a different story.

Blue
  8. Renaissance

Renaissance

What?
  9. bluewine

bluewine

I guess even if the money is going into a band fund the amount should be right.

Now that I think about , probably even more important with a band fund.

Blue
  10. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Supporting Member

How do these places survive if they can't do something as simple as count cash? Good grief

When I hand somebody cash I insist they count it. Right then.

If somebody hands me cash I count it right in front of them.
  11. MegaSwing

MegaSwing The Artist Formerly Known As Edward G. Gold Supporting Member

There is so much slippage in cash-based businesses that it would blow your mind. Why do you think cash is king? It's untraceable and totally unpersonalized. Unlike electronic transactions, which are counted, tracked, and verified by multiple entities, cash receipts are officially whatever the recipient says they are.
  12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

We were overpaid once. Of course we noticed it as soon as guitard came out to the trailer with the cash. I took the extra back in to the club owner. I did learn a lesson though, NEVER put guitard in charge of collecting cash.
  13. mellowinman

mellowinman

I count it in front of them. If you have to be reminded to count your money, you may not be ready for the bar scene.
  14. marmadaddy

marmadaddy

Same here. I count it in front of the person paying me and then again in front of the band. Some guys can't be bothered to watch me count it, but I still do it.

I also state what the amount is supposed to be when receiving it from the manager/bartender whoever, prior to counting it. If one of the other band members is getting the cash and paying me, I state the amount I'm expecting when they hand it to me.