1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Remote recording upgrade

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by nojj, Dec 4, 2013.

1. nojj

nojj Guest

Hiya Folks!

I'm looking to upgrade my live recording system.
    Currently it's a Roland VSR880, a mixer or two, condenser mics and a pile of cabling.

What I get out of it sounds good, but aside from the bulk and piles of cabling,
    it's prone to vibration issues, has antiquated SCSI/Rbusse connectivity,
    and I have to dump all the tracks in realtime to my recording desk at home.
    (Unless I hook up a CDRW -a lengthy process- to do the Data dumps)

I'd like to find something a little more current (and smaller).
    I'll have around $350-450USD to play with.

Needs:
    USB or firewire connectivity, at least 8 track-at-once inputs,
    assignable phantom would be great, min 2 XLR inputs, quality preamp section,
    and would prefer it to work on cards. (16-32gig)
    A couple built in condensers would be handy, but not required.

I was looking at the Zoom R16/R24, seems to be in the ball park.
    Any thoughts?
  2. DannyBob

DannyBob

I have a Zoom R8 as I couldn't afford the 16 or 24, and if I am honest it is one of the best things I have bought! Recording is top notch, built in effects are brilliant and no, I'm not a Zoom endorser ;)

I usually use it for rehearsal with headphones if I can't be bothered to plug into an amp and it does this well also. Brilliant all-round piece of equipment from Zoom. I imagine the 26 or 24 would blow my 8 out the water, so my votes on one of those