Remove Bridge Whenver Transporting EUB?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by GKon, Apr 7, 2014.

1. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

Hi all,

I'm new to the UB world. I just purchased a Harley Benton EUB500 (same as the Palatino).

My question is, do I need to remove the bridge any time I'm transporting the EUB, as in, if I put it in the gig bag to a show?

I ask because it seems so delicate.

If so, I guess then part of the order of things when playing an UB is setting up your bridge every time you play a gig.

Thanks, in advance.

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  3. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

Usually: no. Just handle your instrument very carefully.

For a hollow body EUB like the Harley Benton/Palatino you shouldn't take the bridge down, because of the risk of a fallen soundpost. (I assume it has a soundpost because it should have one.)
    Tuning up your strings with a fallen soundpost might destroy your instrument, so always have a look at your soundpost after transport. (With the strings tuned up the soundpost should not fall, but being a bit more careful than needed doesn't hurt.)

For a solid body EUB (not yours) taking the bridge down (not more than a few times a year!) might help when you have only a soft bag and need to give your instrument to others for handling (i.e. taking a flight). But in this case you should have a hard case and a lot of padding inside.

4. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

Hi DoubleMIDI,

Thanks for the info and for the lack of facepalm (totally uncalled for). Very nice of you :)

Sorry, but the Harley Benton/Palatino is a solid body EUB.
    And, I only have a soft bag for it. But, from what you're saying, I can keep the bridge in place to travel from home to rehearsal and gigs.

Coming from the world of EB, the bridge on the EUB just seems so delicate, I wasn't sure what the proper protocol was. Thanks for taking the time to share info.

5. Register to disable this ad