Removed the Badass II from my Geddy Lee Jazz Bass....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4001, Dec 12, 2013.

1. 4001

......and I'd swear that the bass sounds a bit better now that I swapped out the Badass II bridge for a Fender '75 bridge.

The notes seem to have a fuller tone and sustain better.

Perhaps the string angle coming off the back of the bridge to the saddles is better than with the Badass II where the strings tended to lay flatter.

So, I basically conducted an A/B test by doing this and I like the results of the stock Fender bridge vs the Badass II and wanted to share the findings...

That's all... Carry on.

2. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

3. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

cool. I like doing stuff like that, too.
    Some guy gave me a super hi tech metal pickguard once, and I swapped it out, and it was OK, but I liked the plastic one better. He was a bit offended when I gave it back, and told me that it was a $100 value etc etc, and I said, "thanks man, but it has no value to ME."

4. fredolee16

fredolee16

Thanks for share this. In the beginning I was thinking in change my Squier Vintage Modified 77's bridge for a Gotoh or a Badass bridge and I feel that this change was only to give my bass a "good look" because it has a huge sustain a excellent action and a great tone with the stock bridge. Some friends told me that I'm crazy for not get rid of the "ugly stock bridge" but I told them that the bass sound awesome with it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ROOTS_n_FIFTHS

ROOTS_n_FIFTHS Low end Lover since '78 Supporting Member

This as been a theory around for a while and I always wanted to try it.

You would think that the BA would at least give more sustain.
    Jury is out on the effectiveness of the famed Badass, IMO.

7. jefflaserfist

jefflaserfist

You I think it really depends on the bass it self. I put a ba on my mim fender p and it really did help with the sustain, but all basses are different even two that were made one right after each other.

8. electracoyote

electracoyote

Absolutely.

I have tried a BA on several basses, and didn't notice any difference. But one Precision in particular, BOOM! Amazing improvement. I have no idea why.

Very hit-and-miss, and rarely has any effect on tone or sustain IME. Still, worth a shot if you're really curious.

9. danroche

danroche Supporting Member

I'm in the camp that bridges can sound different from one another, but the matter of "better" or "worse" is one of taste. I've put BA bridges on basses and noticed a brightness that wasn't there before (though nothing new in terms of sustain). I've like it because I was used to (or tired of) the old sound. I could imagine putting the old bridge back on a year later and having the same pleasant "change of pace" feeling.

10. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

I feel the same way: fuller notes. And have always swapped stock bridges back onto any bass I bought that had a BA.

11. jam -1

jam -1

Hey 4001

Would you be interested in selling that bad ass bridge if so pm me and we can go
    from there
    Thanks
    Jeff

12. 80jazz

80jazz

I also did this to my GL and found that the bottom end seemed to beef up (at least to my ears).

For the most part, I am with electracoyote on the BA bridge. I don't think it is too much of a game changer, but there are some basses where I think it can help (the above mentioned BA is on a different jazz and it did that bass a world of good to my ears). I'd like to try one on a precision, but have yet to hear a precision in which I think it would be needed.

13. Bongolation

Bongolation

It does. That's about all you can say for it, and the single thing you can predict for it.

Something else is afoot with the OP's observation.

14. braud357

braud357

My opinion (and experience) only, but my only experience with a BA bridge was a bad one. Made my Fender Precision sound thin - reinstalled the factory bridge and all was well.

15. Davo-London

Davo-London

I bought a '76 P in er 1976.
    In 1978 a put on a BAII.
    In 2003 I put the original bridge back on.
    It sounded better.
    What a plonker!

Davo

16. electracoyote

electracoyote

lol, great story.

17. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

High-mass bridges are BS.

18. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I've changed mine to Hipshot Vintage bridges and like the tone and sustain ...

19. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

[​IMG]

This bass, hovering seductively in the Easter hay, is a Jazz bass that the early Alembic crew got their mits on. Ignore the whacky electronics for the the time-being and check out the bridge.

That two-parter is designed so that the string-anchor attaches right into the end-grain of the body. The train of thought here was that it would make the strings more 'involved' in the wood of the bass. I don't know if it worked, but it sure makes for good music lore. Alembic tried out a lot of interesting things back then. To me, a Badass would make sense if you recessed it into the top of the bass to a degree. This way it is 'in amongst' the wood rather than riding along on the top. The only means of vibration transfer are presumably through the mounting screws and through the contact area between the underside of the bridge and the surface finish of the bass directly under it. Why not just fit longer mounting screws?

I like high-mass bridges. I also like bass hardware. I cannot honestly say I think they add much of anything, I just prefer the idea of sturdier components. Leo Fender designed the original bridge so that you could bend steel plating blanks, cut few holes, and have a functioning bridge you could build instantly with basic metal shop skills. The Badass is a cast affair that is more technologically involved from a construction viewpoint.

Anyway, I'm glad the OP made their choice and found a nicer instrument as a result, to their ears.

20. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Congratulations!

21. Bass Fund

Bass Fund Banned

The Fender bridge imo equals more tone, and clank. The Leo Quan adds clarity to the overall sound, and does sustain better with certain wood grades. I put one on a MIM black label Jazz once, and it choked the tone somehow.

The BA allows you play harder. It's great for slap style.