Removing a truss rod nut.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Tommygunn, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

I completely stripped the nut on my Squier's truss rod. It is completely circular. I've been reading up and the best solution I've seen so far is to use this and loosening the nut until it comes out.

My question is how hard is it to do that and to put a new one in? Where would you find a new nut and how do you know its the right one? Obviously I have minimal lutherie skills considering I stripped the nut to begin with. Or about how much would it cost to get somebody else to do it? Cause I want to get a new neck anyway, and if its too expensive I'll just cut my losses and go that route.

Thanks
  2. 72LML

72LML

Tommygunn,

Check out this thread.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/bad-neck-732059/index2.html

I detailed how to remove one on post #29. As for a new nut you could try Guitar Center or look online. It should be a 10-32 thread and I believe that the Squier truss rod nuts use a 4mm allen wrench. You could probably buy a standard truss rod nut that uses a 3/16" allen wrench as it has the same 10-32 thread.

If you don't feel comfortable doing the repair yourself shoot me a PM and I'll help you out for free.
  3. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Thank you very much! I'll be picking up those bolt grippers tomorrow and working on it
  4. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

... very cool, Nathan ... :)
  5. Register to disable this ad