1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Removing only a fret or two question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jessicabass, Dec 25, 2013.

1. jessicabass

jessicabass

Have a beater bass that i love but the last fret or two is causing bad buzz and keeping me from getting desired action.
    Dont want to do a fret level and pay money so was thinking if i got a flathead screw driver, a hammer, and some pliers and removed one or two frets it would fix the problem.
    Question is would i need to fill it in when done and with what if need be?
    Would just taking 1 or 2 out mess up the rest of the neck in any way?
    Its rosewood if that helps.
  2. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Why not just level the high frets?
  3. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Why not just bash them down with a rock?
  4. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Or just band saw the end of the neck off completely? Get rid of them there pesky frets!

Passinwind is talking about a spot level. That is the repair that need be performed to allow for lowering the strings. The idea at that position of the neck is to create some fall away. It is an easy job for a skilled tech.

Of course, if you don't want to spend money, there's always the bandsaw.
  5. Southway

Southway So ugly, he made a train take a gravel road Supporting Member

No it will not hurt anything but the looks, so if you're not using those frets, you can pull them out. You don't need a hammer and screwdriver though, they should come out fairly easy. If you aren't concerned with cosmetic damage to the fretboard, then use a pair of wire cutters to pry them up, starting at one end of the fret and work across. Sometimes frets are glued in and you can use a soldering iron to loosen the glue, but that really just reduces the cosmetic damage.
  6. jessicabass

jessicabass

Thank you sweetheart.
  7. unclebass

unclebass

You could also just get a metal file and file down the frets a little until they don't rattle. Cosmetically, no one would know the difference. The notes on those frets may not be perfect without recrowning frets, but you apparently don't play there anyway if you plan on removing them...
  8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

+1 trying to rip them out without the right tools and skill is really bad advice.

besides, are we even sure those frets are the problem? it could just be a matter of taking relief out of the neck with the truss rod then raising the saddles a little, rather than wrecking the neck with the wrong tools.
  9. jessicabass

jessicabass

Yes they are the problem. Everywhere on the neck i play its those two frets that are buzzing. Its just a beater bass i use in my punk band when playing out so i dont care about the looks.
    Thinking maybe they are pulling out already which may be causing the problem.
  10. pfox14

pfox14

The proper fix is to do a fret level or at least file down the high ones. All you need is a decent triangular file.
  11. Thisguy

Thisguy

Punk band? Just rip'em out. Not going to hurt anything.
  12. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

how straight is the neck? if you hold down a string at the first fret and the last fret, how much of a gap is there between the string and say the 8th fret? if it's any more than like a business card thickness, you likely have too much up-bow, which means that lowering the saddles makes your strings hit right up at the end where you're having the problem.

tighten the rod to straighten the neck, at which point your action will get really low; raise the saddles to get the action back in a normal range and the strings should now clear the last frets.

if the neck is mostly straight and really is just ramping up at the end there, first try tapping down the frets if they're sprung up, with your last-ditch "who cares" fix being to file them down, not try to rip them out.
  13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Doing #1 has a high probability of turning your bass into a hacked mess with little value. That is the 100% WRONG way to remove frets.

The answer to #2 is that it will mess up the neck by making it necessary for any future owner to re-install the frets.

You will cost yourself much less money in the long run by doing it right and having the frets leveled. it's not expensive and won't turn your bass into a hacked mess.