1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Removing scratches from ampeg head?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by cliff em all, Jul 28, 2013.

1. cliff em all

cliff em all

Hey I have a pf 500 and was thinking of selling it but my brother thought it would be a good idea to sharpen his picks with it... Now it has scratches all over it and it looks like a 3 year old played with it. The scratches aren't deep at all so I wondering if you guys knew any way to get them out? Thanks
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1375054602.649296.jpg
  2. SlugThrower

SlugThrower Supporting Member

Looks like your brother just bought a new amp. I use lacquer thinner on plastic laminate at work, and that usually makes scratches disappear on a lot of plastic finishes. Don't know what kind of finish they put on those things. Could be some kind of plastic spray, and you may end up taking the finish/logo off. however, lacquer thinner isn't that strong. Just don't drink it.
  3. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

Leave it like it is and sell it as-is. Anything you try to "fix" this will probably make it worse.

Then have a talk with your brother. First, why does he need to sharpen picks??? (Ice picks? Guitar picks?) Second, why did he deface YOUR stuff doing it?

Yep he just cost you some money.
  4. bluebird28

bluebird28

I would call Ampeg customer service or email them and ask, perhaps automotive rubbing compound would work to get them out. They look more like scuff marks in the picture. Ask your brother what he was thinking and hand him a piece of emery cloth and tell him how much he defaced your amp. How much do you want for it and where are you?
  5. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

This
  6. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Yup.

I would sell it as is and have your dumbass brother give you the $100 or so that he caused you to lose by damaging your amp in such a stupid way.

Sharpening picks on an amp? Slap him upside the head too.
  7. guymanndude1

guymanndude1 Supporting Member

There's a part number to that lid. You could call Ampeg customer service and maybe order another.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, wouldn't hurt to call Ampeg. Sometimes they do have those parts. Make him pay for it, though. Dopey brother. Everyone knows you sharpen picks on a piece of carpet.